MasterCard Senior Counsel, Strategic Growth in Waterloo, Belgium
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Counsel, Strategic Growth
• Mastercard Strategic Growth (MSG) is a dynamic organization within Mastercard diversifying Mastercard customers and geographies, building new business with governments, non-profits and international development organizations as well as engaging in corporate philanthropy, to create more pathways for including individuals and merchants in the financial system and the formal economy and putting into practice Mastercard’s doing well by doing good business philosophy.
• MSG is seeking an experienced attorney to provide leadership, creative solutions, and comprehensive legal support to our teams focused on reimagining how global businesses, government, and consumers interact by:
o transforming the way Mastercard businesses engage with each other;
o making cities more inclusive with data insights;
o pioneering digital payments to reduce traveler friction;
o partnering with global companies to advance sustainable communities.
• Are you motivated by the challenge of structuring de novo solutions and advancing complex, multi stakeholder projects forward?
• Can you seamlessly work across business lines to support opportunities with partners ranging from digital giants to micro-entrepreneurs to sophisticated financial institutions to city governments?
• The Senior Counsel will be directly responsible for managing the deal opportunities in Europe and beyond for our government engagement and global cities teams and other MSG partners.
• Serve as a day to day strategic, legal advisor and provide responsive, creative, and commercially-minded solutions.
• Structure, draft, and negotiate various complex legal agreements (including framework agreements, technology agreements, and customer agreements, as needed) with a diverse set of partners.
• Coordinate with internal subject matter experts and region or country teams to ensure a comprehensive approach to relevant compliance, government engagement, regulatory, intellectual property, data privacy, and local law considerations.
All About You
• Experience in complex transactional matters and familiarity and acumen related to the reputational and risk issues inherent in the government and public sector space.
• Entrepreneurial spirit and approach, able to embrace calculated risk, and solve for ambiguity.
• Must have a strategic and agile mindset and be able to effectively advise senior management.
• Must be thorough and detail-oriented, able to prioritize, and juggle multiple projects and demands.
• Is a team player who is both organizationally savvy and a strong communicator, able to collaborate cross-functionally and across regions.
• Qualified corporate and/or commercial lawyer in good standing.
In many locations, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in our NYC offices, as required by law, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will be permitted inside Mastercard offices unless a reasonable accommodation has been approved in advance.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-170423