MasterCard Legal Counsel APAC, Data and Services in Singapore
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Legal Counsel APAC, Data and Services
Mastercard is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, digital wallet providers, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. Mastercard’s products and solutions enable Mastercard’s customers to conduct their transactions, whether in the physical or digital worlds, in a safe, secure and convenient manner.
Mastercard’s Asia Pacific legal team is responsible for supporting the Asia Pacific business and negotiating and drafting contracts with customers and key stakeholders, managing issues related to licensing, franchise, marketing and promotions, products and services offerings, regulatory and legal affairs, mergers acquisitions and joint ventures, restructurings, dispute resolutions, and other day-to-day operational issues.
Mastercard’s Data & Services business is a key differentiator for Mastercard, providing the cutting-edge services that help our customers grow. Centered on data-driven technologies and innovation, these services include payments-focused consulting, loyalty and marketing programs, business Test & Learn experimentation, and data-driven information and risk management services.
Mastercard is seeking an experienced attorney to join its Asia Pacific legal team to be responsible for providing comprehensive, end-to-end, legal support to the Data & Services team.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is keen to oversee the delivery of legal services locally while having the backup of an international team. The role offers growth and development opportunities both within Singapore and across the AP region.
The ideal candidate is a technology and payments-minded attorney with extensive negotiation experience who can manage day-to-day legal support for the sales function. The candidate must demonstrate sound business and legal judgement, thrive in a fast-paced environment, with a diverse workload, and have a proven track record of providing pragmatic and proactive legal advice. The candidate must have extensive experience providing both tactical and strategic legal support to executive level business professionals.
• Responsible for providing strategic legal support to the Data & Services vertical and also responsible for other work, including project-based work and pan-region work, which will be assigned.
• Partner with sales, infosec, management and others to draft and negotiate agreements and resolve regulatory and contracting issues to meet our customers’ and cardholders’ rapidly changing needs. Customers include financial institutions as well as digital technology companies, global telecommunications companies, innovative payments startups, merchants, and government.
• Collaborate with in-house and external specialists (including regulatory, AML compliance, data protection, intellectual property and anti-trust counsel) to identify relevant issues and help the business effectively navigate legal risks.
• Instruct and supervise a network of external law firms in assigned countries.
• Deal with jurisdictional and commercial complexities that have an impact on Mastercard's business (accordingly, the nature of the legal function includes a commercial and strategic dimension).
• Assist Mastercard Public Policy and Regulatory teams in their engagements.
• Conduct regional training/monitoring of global Law Department policies and contracts such as contract training.
• Working with global staff when agreements are required for implementation of projects in the Asia Pacific region.
All About You
• Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor from an established and reputable law school in a common law jurisdiction.
• Ability to grasp complex new business concepts and develop and implement creative approaches to problems while identifying and balancing risks with results.
• Familiarity with law and regulations in the banking and payments space will be considered favorably.
• Minimum post-qualification experience of 10 years.
• Relevant post-qualification experience in general commercial legal matters in a reputable law firm and an MNC. In-house experience in an MNC is strongly desired.
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Must be able to strike a balance between the two principal objectives of being a facilitator to the business and protecting the interests of the company.
• Must be able to contribute and operate effectively within a diverse multicultural organization.
• Quick learner, stress resistant, ability to grasp complex new business concepts, good commercial acumen and creative approach to problem-solving.
• Knowledge of banking or financial services industry: ideally cards, payments, settlement etc.
• Experience in providing legal advice to an organization involved in sponsorship, loyalty rewards, advertising, marketing, promotions, gaming and lotteries, licensing, franchising etc.
• Experience in handling competition law and data privacy law issues.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-117053