MasterCard Econometrician in Singapore
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
• the Mastercard Economics Institute’s mission is to drive macroeconomic thought leadership in support of Mastercard’s efforts to build a more inclusive and sustainable digital economy
• the Economics Institute was launched in 2020 to analyze macroeconomic trends through the lens of the consumer to deliver tailored and actionable insights on economic issues for key customers, partners and policymakers.
• In addition to global and regional macro-economic trends, the institute also produces thematic research covering consumer spending, risk, small business, policy, digital and travel.
• the institute constitutes a team of economists and data scientists that utilize & synthesize data sets both from within Mastercard and beyond to bring powerful insights to life
• the institute delivers tailored 1:1 presentations, participates in key industry forums, and contributes to global thought leadership via thematic papers, organizing events and participating in media
About the Role
The Mastercard Economics Institute produces research reports and econometric forecasts for internal and external stakeholders. The quantitative economics team oversees a global computable general equilibrium model covering roughly 95% of global GDP and country-level consumption forecasts of nearly 100 countries at a sectoral level. The econometrician would report into the team lead for quantitative economics and is responsible for:
• The development and improvement of the models across the entire pipeline – from data ingestion to statistical modeling and communicating the results to key stakeholders
• Maintain and report global macroeconomic forecast outputs (general equilibrium model)
• Leverage Mastercard data to improve contemporaneous macro forecasting via nowcasting
• Implementation of macroeconomic scenarios
• Produce forecast outputs for external stakeholders (customers)
• Play an integral part in defining and executing the team’s data strategy
• Improve variable selection and reduction techniques to identify high quality predictive variables
• Improve model assembling approaches and model back testing
• Play a pivotal role in helping shape the data science discipline and philosophy for the group with other team members
• Design & refine key economic and financial market dashboards and models
• Implement machine learning (supervised and unsupervised), NLP, time series analysis, and text analysis on economic and financial data sets
• Develop different algorithms to answer specific business questions and address custom client needs
• Identify patterns or anomalies in the datasets being explored, produce concise insights for the Economist to allow fast interpretation of results
• Research and integrate econometric and statistical models as needed in order to create insights and compelling visualizations of data trends to develop interactive dashboards/apps for client presentations
• Be proficient in translating business need specifications into data specifications, clear data structure and eventually a usable data set/model/forecast to either explore and/or create visualizations that bring the insights to life
• Participate in every stage of a project - even for stages they are not directly responsible for - from briefing to ideation, to content development to draft/prototyping, testing, feedback collection and finalization
• Creative & passionate about statistics/math, economics, data, technology, and its applications
• A good foundation in different modeling approaches and demonstrated success in managing large models
• A demonstrated interest in different machine learning and statistics with the ability to communicate models in a non-technical manner
• Advanced coding abilities in R and a passion for programming, familiarity with other programming languages, is a plus
• Quantitative modeling experience 2-3 years, ideally in a tech, healthcare/mapping or geo spatial or finance field
• Good foundation in economics with an advanced degree in math/statistics/quantitative field
• Strong collaborator and independent thinker
• Proficient in synthesizing data to create insights, great storyteller
• Excellent at managing multiple projects and tight timelines with an ability to reprioritize as situation might require
• Experience taking customer needs and translate in to modeling requirements
• Exposure to incorporating new modeling & AI approaches
• Evidence of creativity/innovation/unorthodox thinking in data science/coding/a related field
• Comfortable working in a fast paced and fluid environment, staying calm under pressure
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-129776