MasterCard Senior Data Scientist in Vancouver, Canada
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Data Scientist
Who is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments sector. We power payments and provide products and services for individuals and industries all around the world. Our people, technology, data and brand provide the capabilities that drive our success. We believe in connecting people to priceless possibilities.
As a company, we know that our success is driven by the skills, experience, integrity and mindset of the talent we hire. By building an inclusive, world-class culture, our employees have once-in-a-career opportunities to be a part of teams that have a greater impact on our community and our world. We invite you to join our team to find out how you too can start something priceless.
Mastercard's Cyber & Intelligence organization develops and delivers world-class security products and services for customers across the globe. NuData Security predicts fraudulent transactions by identifying good users from bad, based on their online behaviour. By analyzing over 38 billion behaviours annually, NuData harnesses the power of behavioural and biometric analysis to empower its clients to predict fraud and verify the user behind the device. This allows clients to predict fraud before a critical decision, reduce customer insult, and investigate bad actors efficiently.
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a related field to join our team in the Vancouver office. The position will be technical in nature where you will provide guidance on the various statistical methods and algorithms used in modeling work by our team, and provide mentorship to others in this area. This is a key role within the team responsible for developing models to support various NuData products, and you’ll have exciting responsibilities, including:
• Analyzing complex, high-volume data from varying sources and identifying key regularities, patterns and trends.
• Prototyping and developing machine learning models in collaboration with an agile, high-functioning team.
• Spotting new opportunities in data collection, feature creation, feature selection, model tuning and evaluation practices, and taking those ideas from the first concepts to live product integrations.
• Implementing effective monitoring and benchmarking for model performance comparison.
• Leveraging new research in data modelling to identify opportunities, pioneering algorithms and systems that become key commercial products.
• Maintaining model development pipelines, libraries and machine learning infrastructure.
All About You
Ideally, you are:
• Statistically adept. You have studied in a quantitative field (i.e. mathematics, statistics, economics, data science) at a doctoral or master’s level. You have the depth of knowledge required to identify appropriate techniques, follow and create formal proofs, define apt performance measures and adeptly explore or transform data.
• Someone with a strong foundational knowledge of principles underlying common statistical learning techniques such as linear regression, support vector machine, tree-based methods, bagging and boosting methods.
• A strong problem solver with critical thinking skills who can formulate a problem into solution. Able to challenge assumptions and validate modeling solutions from a statistical inference perspective.
• Capable of writing complex SQL queries to process data. Proficient with manipulating and analyzing data to gain meaningful insights using tools such as Pandas for Python.
• Experienced in creating algorithms and applying machine learning models to solve real business problems. You have the vision to see what the next generation model looks like and can iterate over production models to generate a competitive edge in the market.
• A capable coder, able to write well-abstracted, production-quality code in Python (preferred), R, Java and/or C++. You’re experienced in using cloud services (e.g. AWS, Microsoft Azure and/or Google Cloud), and machine learning tools (e.g. scikit-learn, Tensorflow and/or Keras).
• Experienced working with large data sets. You understand the benefits of batch processing and parallelization and know how to design a pipeline to scale-out machine learning workflows. You have experience working with distributed data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark.
• An effective communicator in visual, verbal and spoken channels, able to identify a narrative in complex data and convey clear, actionable findings to different types of audiences.
• Experienced in architecting end-to-end solutions for production deployment (considered an asset but not required).
It also helps if you are:
• Collaborative. We do our best work as a team, which means sharing, being open to giving and receiving support and constructive input.
• Evidence-based. We work to eliminate assumptions and test our hypotheses, and we value rigour.
• Responsible. We offer the opportunity to drive major projects that protect consumers every day, internationally. We are looking for colleagues who care about that.
• Motivated. We’re a team of data scientists with personal and collaborative side projects, and we’re looking for someone who shares our enthusiasm.
• Innovative. Data Science is a continuously growing field. We like our team to keep pushing for new ideas and methods. We are looking for someone who is creative and not just always satisfied with the status quo.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-126488