MasterCard Lead Performance Architect in Vancouver, Canada
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Lead Performance Architect
Lead Performance Architect
Be part of the Cyber & Intelligence solutions team developing new capabilities for MasterCard's Decision Management Platform, which serves as the core for multiple business solutions to combat fraud and validate cardholder identity. Our patented platform processes billions of transactions per month, in milliseconds, using a multi-tiered, message-oriented approach for high performance and availability. Additionally, web applications and web services for managing fraud solutions round out the critical platform capabilities.
This Performance Architect role will be responsible for the performance and availability engineering for this platform along with helping to build an engineering practice that empathizes doing performance engineering work earlier in the delivery lifecycle.
This architect role will partner with solution architects, software engineers, and other team roles to assess the platform’s needs, help design new capabilities, design and run tests, help troubleshoot problems, identify risks, and make recommendations. A successful candidate will ensure potential performance and availability challenges are proactively identified, recommendations implemented, and that the systems’ capacity and availability exceed requirements while ensuring the platform achieves business results.
• Ensure that platform capacity and availability exceed requirements.
• Review of functional and technical specifications for potential performance impacts and help design scenarios to exercise key performance areas.
• Participate/Lead technical design sessions with other software engineers.
• Review of program code to identify potential performance issues.
• Review production incidents to help determine root cause or plan of action to
remediate any issues.
• Work with the performance test team to review system use cases and functional specifications
with the appropriate business analyst.
• Ensure all levels of testing are conducted with adequate coverage. Identify potential
problems, omissions and open issues, and attend walkthroughs and sign-off meetings.
• Identify quality risks, escalate issues in a timely manner, and manage defects to closure.
• Produce documentation based on performance issues and fixes.
• Create and maintain a capacity and demand model for the platform as well as identify new
infrastructure needed to keep capacity above demand.
• Provide technical thought leadership.
All About You
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field.
• Experience with large, complex, scalable, and highly performant transaction processing systems.
• Passionate about solving complex performance and availability problems.
• Experience working closely with other architects and engineers and providing technical
thought leadership across an organization.
• A wide breadth and depth of technical experience including Java, Linux, and Oracle.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate to an
audience at all levels within an organization.
• Self-motivated with the ability to accomplish tasks with minimal direction.
• Ability to multi task and meet deadlines.
• Application architecture
• High performance and highly scalable transaction processing systems
• Java development
• Java web applications
• Java web services
• Oracle database (SQL proficiency)
• Linux OS
• Performance tools such as LoadRunner, JMeter, Gatling, Dynatrace, software profilers, Splunk, etc.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-137627