MasterCard Senior Managing Counsel, Australia and New Zealand in St. Leonards, United States
Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless at https://www.priceless.com/ ®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Senior Managing Counsel, Australia and New Zealand
The Mastercard Australia New Zealand (“ANZ”) legal team is responsible for supporting the ANZ business which includes negotiating and drafting contracts with customers and key stakeholders, managing issues related to licensing, franchise, marketing and promotions, products and services offerings, regulatory and legal affairs, mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, dispute resolutions, and other day-to-day operational issues often in collaboration with other legal regulatory, policy and other subject matter experts in ANZ, regional and global headquarters.
An opportunity has arisen for the right candidate to be the lead counsel for the Mastercard ANZ legal team, which consists of lawyers covering different functions supporting the Mastercard business in ANZ.
• The role will be based in St Leonards, Sydney and will report into the General Counsel Asia Pacific based in Singapore, as well as to the Division President, ANZ based in Sydney.
• Responsible for all legal aspects across all business units covering primarily Australia and New Zealand as well as the other markets/countries in the Pacific Ocean.
• Negotiate and draft contracts with customers, service providers, merchants, government and suppliers.
• Supporting deployment and offering of new and innovative products in ANZ.
• Supporting applications for licenses, compliance with regulatory requirements and monitoring regulatory developments in the countries in ANZ and responsible for on-going compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
• Creating and maintaining a strong regulatory and corporate compliance framework to ensure that Mastercard businesses and operations in ANZ comply with all relevant laws and regulations.
• Strong focus on risk management. Assist the management teams in the management of legal and commercial risks.
• Instruct and oversee a network of external legal advisors in the assigned countries.
• Handling issues related to privacy law, data protection, regulatory compliance, anti-money laundering in collaboration with the subject matter experts in the regional HQ.
• Be a strategic thinker.
• Supporting merger and acquisition, joint venture and strategic partnership activities.
• Assisting and supporting public policy, particularly in the engagement with regulatory authorities and agencies to promote the Mastercard agenda.
• Conducting regional training/monitoring of global law department policies and contracts such as contract training.
• Working with global team when agreements are required for implementation of projects in the Asia Pacific region.
• Oversight/coordinate company corporate secretarial services for assigned countries.
• Leading a legal team (currently 3) supporting the ANZ division.
All About You
• Bachelor of Laws or Master’s Degree from an established and reputable law school.
• Post-graduate qualifications (e.g. Masters at Law or LLM) from an established university welcome.
• Minimum post-qualification experience of 15 years.
• Familiarity with Australian and/or New Zealand law and regulations in the banking and payments space, with experience related to privacy and data protection and competition will be viewed favorably.
• Relevant post-qualification experience in general commercial legal matters in a reputable law firm and in-house experience in a MNC will be required. The candidate should be comfortable with working in a matrix.
• Experience in providing legal advice to an organization involved in sponsorship, loyalty rewards, advertising, marketing, promotions, gaming, licensing, franchising etc.
• Able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Quick learner, stress resistant, ability to grasp complex new business concepts, good commercial acumen and creative approach to problem-solving.
• Hands-on and willing to roll up his/her sleeves.
• Business minded with an ability to strike the right balance between being a facilitator to the business and protecting the interests of the company.
• Must be able to contribute and operate effectively within a diverse multicultural organization.
• Excellent people manager with high organizational awareness and EQ skills.
• A true leader who is able to engage with different types of stakeholders and able to think both in an ANZ and a broader international context.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Requisition ID: R-85439