MasterCard Director, Controller in Sao Paulo, Brazil
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director, Division Controller
The position will be part of the Controller’s group within Mastercard Latin America and Caribbean (LAC)’s Finance division, reporting to the Regional Controller. The LAC Controllers Group is responsible for ensuring the integrity of the US GAAP financials in partnership with the GBSC (Global Business Service Center), ensuring local statutory reporting compliance as well as providing support to the business teams across several areas including internal controls, M&A and technical accounting guidance on Deal structure.
Questions that describe the attributes of a good candidate.
Do you have Big 4 and/or controllership advanced levels of expertise?
Do you want to be part of a highly collaborative, fast paced and challenging environment?
Do you have a continuous process improvement mindset?
Have you led large/complex/cross-functional projects on a regional or global scale?
• Ensures integrity and accuracy of financials for the Division and has primary responsibility for ensuring company compliance with external and corporate accounting requirements, both from a US GAAP as well as local statutory perspective
• Responsible for the Rebates and Incentives (R&I) process for the respective countries ensuring accurate and timely accruals are in place
• Guides financial decisions related to business transactions including acquisitions and investments by providing accounting/regulatory advice and by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures
• Provides accounting guidance to the business for deal structures, intercompany arrangements, business ventures, etc.
• Provides guidance on complex issues and technical accounting. Consults with Regional/Corporate Accounting as appropriate
• Ensures ongoing compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements in partnership with outside providers; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports and advising management on needed actions
• Manages statutory reporting, providing support and guidance and ensuring cohesive teamwork throughout
• Manage month-end, quarter-end and year-end close process
• Provide oversight to the team responsible for managing the statutory accounting as well as billing/pricing implementation processes
• Also provides oversight on the local bank administration in compliance with Corporate Treasury policies
All About You
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
• Extensive experience and advanced level of expertise in accounting controls and financial processes within a global organization or within a Big 4 Firm. A mix of industry and Big 4 experience is preferred. CPA required
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline; Master’s Degree is a plus
• Strong technical accounting knowledge including US and/or IFRS
• Strong knowledge of Internal Controls concepts and Sarbanes Oxley regulations
• Drives continual process improvement agenda, demonstrated ability in challenging and improving processes
• Demonstrated business acumen with the ability to provide solutions that drive positive results
• Strong communication skills - Must be able to synthesize and communicate well to all levels within the company
• Influencer who uses analytical and leadership skills to achieve goals
• Fluency in English required. Spanish preferred
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-155934