MasterCard Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection - Brazil in Sao Paulo, Brazil
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection - Brazil
• Mastercard is committed to balancing innovation while protecting individual privacy and has embraced privacy and data protection as core to the successful execution of its business strategy.
• As part of that commitment Mastercard has established a world-class privacy program and is currently adding talent to its global team.
• The Counsel will be responsible to ensure compliance with privacy and data-related laws in the Latin America/Caribbean (LAC) region, with particular emphasis on establishing processes, policies, and standards to ensure compliance with the new Brazil General Data Protection Act (GDPA), while enabling business innovation.
• The Counsel will act as the “Data Protection Officer” under the Brazil GDPA.
• The position will report to the Assistant General Counsel – Privacy & Data Protection, will be a member of the Global Privacy & Data Protection team and of the LAC Law & Franchise Integrity (LFI) team.
• Do you have the ability to think and act both strategically and tactically with respect to the needs of business clients and their objectives, while ensuring that the corporation remains compliant with the GDPA and other applicable global, regional, and local privacy and data protection laws and regulations, as well as industry best practices?
• Ensure compliance with the new GDPA and other LAC privacy and data protection laws, leveraging accountability-based programs, processes, and controls that have been implemented in Europe to achieve compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Maintain records of processing for all personal data processing activities in LAC; conduct data protection impact assessments for certain sensitive activities.
• Monitor regulatory developments in Brazil and other markets in LAC, and engage with regulators and key policymakers to influence the text of new privacy and data protection laws and data-related regulations, including the GDPA implementing regulations and Provisional Measure No. 869.
• Engage with the organization to raise employee awareness about privacy and data protection, including about the GDPA and other applicable privacy and data protection laws.
• Enable the development of data-driven products and solutions by ensuring compliance with the GDPA and other LAC privacy and data protection laws, utilizing privacy by design, privacy by default, and data minimization principles.
• Handle privacy and data protection related queries or complaints on behalf of the organization and cooperate with the Brazil and other LAC data protection authorities (responding to requests about investigations, complaint handling, inspections, etc.).
• Manage complex negotiations with customers, partners and vendors, to ensure privacy compliance as well as to secure data use rights.
All About You
• Law degree required. Membership to a Bar (if permitted by law). Any additional qualifications (e.g. Master of Laws degree) considered an asset.
• Good knowledge of the Brazil GDPA and Provision Measure No. 866.
• Solid experience in privacy and data protection law, including expertise in and track record dealing with Brazil privacy and data regulatory frameworks, including the Bank Secrecy Law, the Financial Records Act, and the Civil Rights Framework for the Internet, as well as other LAC privacy and data regulatory frameworks; experience with the EU GDPR, and other global privacy and data regulatory frameworks considered an asset.
• Oral and written fluency in Portuguese and English required; fluency in Spanish considered an asset.
• Relationships with data protection regulators in Brazil/other LAC markets considered an asset.
• Knowledge of interactive marketing technologies, including, cookies and other passive data collection technologies.
• Familiarity with financial services industry and payment processing.
• Motivated self-starter with ability to excel at multi-tasking in a fast paced environment. Ability to motivate and influence highly skilled professionals to achieve major organizational goals.
• Superior time management, planning, and organizational skills. Strong analytic capabilities, and written and oral communication skills. Attention to detail is a must.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering. Must work well in both team and individual settings.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-118482