MasterCard Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, California
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Lead Software Engineer
Mastercard is the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee can be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Data Engineering and platform under Data Platform and Engineering service program is focused on enabling insights into Mastercard network and help build data-driven products by curating and preparing data in a secure and reliable manner. Moving to a “Unified and Fault-Tolerant Architecture for Data Ingestion and Processing” is critical to achieving this mission.
As a Lead Data Engineering Software Engineer in Data Platform and Engineering service program, you will have the opportunity to build high performance data pipelines to load into Mastercard Data Warehouse. Our Data Warehouse provides analytical capabilities to number of business users who help different customers provide answer to their business problems through data. You will play a vital role within a rapidly growing organization, while working closely with experienced and driven engineers to solve challenging problems.
• Partner on the design the next implementation of Mastercard secure, global data and insight architecture, building the data integration and processing capabilities and operationalizing “Unified Data Acquisition and Processing (UDAP) platform”
• Identify and resolve performance bottlenecks either proactively
• Work with the customer support group as needed to resolve performance issues in the field
• Explore automation opportunity and develop tools to automate some of the day to day operations tasks
• Provide performance metrics and maintain dashboards to reflect production systems health
• Conceptualize and implement proactive monitoring where possible to catch issues early
• Experiment with new tools to streamline the development, testing, deployment, and running of our data pipelines.
• Work with cross functional agile teams to drive projects through full development cycle.
• Help the team improve with the usage of data engineering best practices.
• Collaborate with other data engineering teams to improve the data engineering ecosystem and talent within Mastercard.
• Creatively solve problems when facing constraints, whether it is the number of developers, quality or quantity of data, compute power, storage capacity or just time.
• Maintain awareness of relevant technical and product trends through self-learning/study, training classes and job shadowing.
All About You
• At least Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Technology related field or equivalent work experience
• Experience in Data Warehouse related projects in product or service-based organization
• Experience solving for scalability, Performance and stability
• Experience in an object-oriented programming language preferably Java
• Expert knowledge of Linux operating systems and environment and Scripting (Shell and Python preferred)
• A deep expertise in your field of Software Engineering
• Expert at troubleshooting complex system and application stacks
• Operational experience in Big Data Stacks (Hadoop ecosystem, Spark is a plus)
• Operational experience in real-time, streaming and data pipelines relevant frameworks ( Kafka and NiFi is a plus)
• Operational experience in Elastic Search / ELK stack is a plus
• Operational experience troubleshooting network/server communication
• Experience with performance Tuning of Database Schemas, Databases, SQL, ETL Jobs, and related scripts
• Expertise in enterprise metrics/monitoring with frameworks such as Splunk, Druid, Grafana
• Experience with cloud computing services, particularly deploying and running services in Azure or AWS
• A belief in data driven analysis and problem solving and a proven track record in applying these principles
• An organized approach the planning and execution of major projects
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-166822