MasterCard Middleware Manager in Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
The Middleware Manager leads a Middleware DevOps engineering function that focuses on the design, build and operation of Middleware technologies across Cloud, Vocalink DCs, Mastercard Hubs and Customer DCs.
The role requires a focus on our products and services to ensure that all SLA’s and availability targets are met.
The role also requires thought leadership and an ability to drive IT initiatives that continually improve our efficiency, agility, performance, availability and operational excellence.
• Coordinate the design, build and maintenance of middleware components and technologies.
• Ensures live environments remain compliant and meet operational targets
• Resolves chronic complex problems, providing managerial operational support to maintain systems and platforms
• Participates in the planning and implementation of middleware updates to optimize functionality, performance, efficiency, and maintainability
• Performs lifecycle management for vendor products, ensuring regular updates, and products are used correctly / efficiently.
• Drive continual improvement within the team - across internal components, vendor product selection, and ways of working
• Partner with development teams, providing design support, in-depth technical assistance and troubleshooting
• Performs holistic platform security posture which includes identifying risks, escalating potential concerns, and implementing both risk mitigation plans and control functions.
• May perform financial planning, forecasting, and budget tracking to reduce total cost of ownership and allocate resources efficiently
• Manages a team, conducts goal setting and performance appraisal processes, mentors and coaches top talent within own team.
• Experience leading a major work stream or multiple smaller work streams for a large platform initiative, often providing technical guidance and advice to ensure consistent deployment of solutions
• Experience setting priorities, objectives, and driving deliverables within global technology domains and sub-domains
• Experience engaging with the broader technical community to anticipate developments in innovation, often evaluating new solutions and recommending future business platform system requirements
• Experience performing process improvements and automation activities driving operational and financial savings, applying tools and technologies
• Successfully served as a go-to-person to resolve and prevent middleware issues, deriving impactful solutions.
• Experience partnering with internal customers across development verticals to support project completion, performing middleware system initiatives and provide technical advice to the project team
• Experience creating and delivering presentations for internal learning, training events, and/or business discussions
Technical and Professional Skills:-
• Middleware Technologies (WebLogic, Webshpere, Tomcat, IBMMQ, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Tivoli, Go Anywhere) - Advanced
• Deploying and Troubleshooting Java Applications - Advanced
• Cloud Services (AWS & Azure) – Intermediate
• Kubernetes – Intermediate
• DevOps Tooling (Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Git, Jenkins) – Advanced
• Automation and exposure to scripting (Python, Bash) – Advanced
• Logging and Monitoring - Intermediate
• Infrastructure & Network awareness – Advanced
• Unix / Linux – Advanced
• Backup technologies – Intermediate
• Troubleshooting complex platforms - Advanced
• Previous experience implementing large scale data centre, infrastructure and platform solutions - Advanced
• Innovation & thought leadership - Advanced
• Agile methodology awareness (Scrum/Kanban) – Advanced
• People leadership – Advanced
• Business acumen – Advanced
• Commercial focus – Advanced
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-163165