MasterCard Lead DevOps Engineer in Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Lead DevOps Engineer
Mastercard’s New Payments Platform division is looking for enthusiastic DevOps Engineers to work on Instant Payment Service (IPS) which delivers critical national banking infrastructure globally. You will support over 500 engineering staff with your tooling, pipelines, automated test infrastructure, & release engineering. You have a direct impact on the developer experience and engineering efficiencies across the programme.
You are a DevOps specialist skilled in the cultural and technical principles & practices of the DevOps movement with experience of implementing DevOps approach and associated tools within an organization. You have a desire to continually improve your own skills and the ability to transfer those skills to others. You look for efficiencies, optimizations, and ways to improve through automation. Together, you will be part of a team who work together to deliver complex projects through agile methodologies.
• Leads and manages complex initiatives and projects; defines workflows and timeframes to support specifications and guidelines
• Uses knowledge of DevOps tools to review code, troubleshoot, and execute virtualization and integration strategies while focusing on security, reliability, and scalability of the solution; Able to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services
• Manages platform systems to ensure reliability and security through the support and maintenance of existing systems; develops, selects, and implements systems enhancements
• Enable product teams through implementation of deployment pipelines and deployment strategy from dev to production in a cloud-based environment, on premise and hybrid.
• Understands automation design and infrastructure to determine what to automate and perform large-scale sustainable, intelligent automation in a cross-functional environment
• Develop, implement, and optimize automation strategies and functionality aligning to company standards; may analyse business impact of automation strategies.
• Actively engages and collaborates with stakeholders throughout software development process to identify opportunities and risks and make appropriate adaptations
• Provides input into design of automation for full infrastructure deployment; manages review of and tests for compatibility and integration processes needed to connect with other devices
• Develops and implements maintenance plans to address technical issues; seeks opportunities for improvement and efficiency
• Performs technical analysis of complex software, hardware, and transmission facility using various diagnostic tools
• Interprets the analysis of current architecture setup to understand and suggest potential enhancements
• Modest advanced code development, code review and day-to-day support duties
• Researching and evaluating tools to support domain-specific needs
• Demonstrates knowledge of company procedures and standards to analyse impact on existing IT systems and platforms
• Applies technical capabilities within own discipline to coach and develop junior employees
• Provides input into performance appraisal process for some junior employees or team members
• Provide fourth line support to production operations teams. Exceptional and pre-approved on-call support may be required
Experiences & Skills
• Strong experience in a cloud-based environment, eg one of AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
• Strong experience of Infrastructure as Code (IaC) automation tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation
• Strong experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet
• Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines and associated tooling such as Jenkins
• Strong experience with automation and creating system & process efficiencies
• Strong experience with scripting languages such as Python, Groovy, Bash
• Strong experience & hands on knowledge of Unix/Linux
• Strong experience with docker or similar containerization tool
• Strong experience designing large scale systems and ensuring successful implementation, availability, recoverability, security, supportability, and performance of systems
• Strong experience in driving issue resolution and root cause identification
• Strong experience of working within Agile frameworks including Scrum and Kanban
• Strong experience with Git version control and branching strategies, eg. trunk-based development, gitflow
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to listen, present and communicate solutions clearly and concisely with technical and non-technical audiences
• Experience mentoring and supporting less experienced engineers
• Experience with Java and Maven
• Ability to work at a professional level with little management direction and leadership
• Understanding of solution trade-offs such as cost, scope, timescale, and balance between long-term strategic and short-term pragmatic considerations
• Experience with large scale automated ephemeral test infrastructure
• Experience with static code analysis & security scanning pipelines and associated tooling
• Experience designing and implementing centralised monitoring solutions including logging, monitoring, alerting
• Experience with cloud networking including VPC, subnets, security groups, peering, CIDR
• Experience across the full SDLC
• Experience with building zero downtime solutions, including blue/green deployments
• Experience supporting cross-functional leadership to ensure project objectives and deadlines are met
• Experience with various private, public and hybrid platforms, continuous integration or delivery as a service, DevOps and distributed computing
• Knowledge of TLS and mTLS
• Knowledge of at least one RDBMS eg Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-118212