MasterCard Director, Software Engineering in Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director, Software Engineering
Director, Software Engineering
• Responsible for the analysis, design, development and delivery of software solutions
• Defines requirements for new applications and customizations, adhering to standards, processes and best practices
• Formally supervise and coach 5+ teams of engineers to build, enhance, and support multiple applications/services in the delivery of internal or market-facing Products, Platforms, or Product bundles
• Oversee the management of the Software Engineering group and acts as the highest authority on high-level and complex decisions within the function
• Work with business/product owners to develop and deliver on new services to introduce new products and bundles
• Work on complex enterprise-wide initiatives spanning multiple services/programs and drives resolution
• Ensure objectives and development plans are established at the start of the year and reviewed continuously throughout the year
• Recruit and hire the right talent, always bringing in someone better than at least half the individuals in the role
• Continuously engage and improve teams’ performance by conducting recurring 1-1 meetings, knowing your people, managing career development, and understanding who is at risk
• Provide and facilitate timely feedback, coaching in the moment, and mentoring for staff at all levels
• Emulate and drive Mastercard Way behaviors through their behavior, recognitions, coaching, and employee engagement
• Manage and optimize budgets, forecasting, and cost allocation while delivering on business needs in the area of ownership
• Provides strategic thinking and leadership related to a wide range of applications and systems, or software-development methodologies
• Benchmark and drive engineering productivity, quality, and technology policy compliance in the areas of ownership
• IT experience with successful track record in managing medium scale development organization (5+ teams) with demonstrated thought-leadership, cross-functional influence, and partnership
• Progressively grown career with proven design and development experiences in multiple languages, secure coding standards (e.g., OWASP, CWE, SEI CERT), and vulnerability management.
• Understands internals of operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mainframe) to deliver interoperable and performant code.
• Has skills to develop and evangelize on reference architecture and run principles to help teams adopt Engineering Principles from the start (poison pill, active/active/active, auto-scaling, self-healing, others)
• Understands use cases for advanced design patterns (e.g., service-to-worker, MVC, API gateway, intercepting filter, dependency injection, lazy loading, all from gang of four) to implement efficient code
• Understands and implements Application Programming Interface (API) standards and cataloging to drive API/service adoption and commercialization
• Has skills to promote and coach teams on take on full stack development and facilitate end-to-end service ownership
• Has skills to engage engineers across Technology organization to promote standard software patterns and reuse of common libraries and services
• Has experience in leading and coaching teams to perform software planning and estimation for large scale complex programs
• Has skills to drive trade-off discussions to set right development capacity based on value drivers (e.g., regulatory, security, new business, market parity, technical debt)
• Has experience in design and execution of automation across multiple business areas and provides guidance on best methods and tools.
• Has an expert understanding of DevOps best practices to guide developers and abstract application development from underlying hosting platforms and infrastructure
• Performance engineering experience to ensure applications are built to scale, run, and perform for varying demands
• Has skills to evaluate practices, metrics, and roles to continually optimize SDLC methodologies and automate processes to improve lead time and quality
• Has skills to perform architecture and cost analysis for internal, hybrid, and public cloud environments
• Has skills to succinctly articulate architecture patterns of complex systems, with business and technical implications, to executive and customer stakeholders
• Has skills to define and drive advanced chaos and other operational testing practices to test points of failures, monitors, and system behaviors under adverse conditions (e.g., resource spikes, network congestion, component or infrastructure failure)
• Has skills to implement advanced test set ups in production environment (e.g., A/B testing, canary releases, blue-green deployment, feature flags)
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-163586