MasterCard Senior Managing Counsel in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Managing Counsel
Mastercard is committed to driving innovation by prioritizing individual privacy, data protection and corporate data responsibility. We embrace privacy and data protection as essential to the successful execution of our business strategy. As part of that commitment, Mastercard has established a world-class international privacy program and is currently adding talent to its Global Privacy & Data Protection team.
The Senior Managing Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection – North American Market (NAM) Operations will support the team’s strategic, product design, and regulatory engagement on Mastercard’s services and platforms in the United States and Canada. The position will report into the Assistant General Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection, and serve as a member of both the Global Privacy & Data Protection team and the Law & Policy team.
The Senior Managing Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection – NAM Operations will provide hands-on guidance to internal operational teams in compliance with applicable global privacy and data laws, direct negotiation of complex product-related agreements, and engage with regulators and policymakers, representing Mastercard’s position on critical data protection consideration in NAM. Strong collaboration will be required across business divisions to ensure deployment of Mastercard’s Privacy by Design approach.
This position will be based in Purchase, NY.
• Manage a cross-functional team of lawyers, providing strategic thought leadership on product design, business and technical infrastructure requirements, and implementation of controls while enabling business innovation through Privacy by Design.
• Develop and implement policies, standards, and guidelines for the use of and access to personal information.
• Engage in product development processes to ensure privacy compliance is built into all information-based products and services, and accounted for in corporate operational activity, including management and use of employee personal information.
• Monitor and analyze emerging privacy and data laws, specifically in the United States and Canada, define implications and prepare regular updates identifying potential impacts for Mastercard’s business operations, reputation, customers, and partners. Lead engagement with key policymakers and stakeholders to influence regulatory developments in those areas.
• Develop contract structures, review contracts, and manage complex negotiations with customers, partners, and vendors, to ensure privacy compliance and to secure data use rights.
• Provide recommendations to senior management regarding data security, insider threat, and operational risk management.
• Ensure appropriate documentation in accordance with CCPA, PIPEDA, GDPR and other global data protection accountability requirements; conduct Data Protection Impact Assessments and other risk assessment activity as needed.
• Provide regular trainings and updates about emerging technologies and legal requirements to employees, executive leadership, and customers, paving the way for creative approaches to ensuring privacy compliance.
All About You
• Admitted as an attorney in the US, with ability to qualify in New York
• Juris doctor required, CIPP certification preferred
• Minimum 8 years post-qualification experience
• Experienced managing teams and collaborating across a wide range of business stakeholders to drive initiatives through to conclusion
• A risk-based mindset able to succinctly identify critical areas of concern and construct legally compliant, commercially viable solutions
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated experience distilling complex legal and technical issues into clear, concise messaging to a wide variety of audiences including executive leadership
• Specialized in implementing global privacy and data-related regulatory frameworks, with an emphasis on CCPA, GLBA, PIPEDA, FCRA, and the GDPR
• Familiarity with financial services industry and emerging payment technologies
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering.
• Ability to motivate and influence highly skilled professionals to achieve major organizational goals
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Westchester County Salary Range: $210,000 - $327,000
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Requisition ID: R-184680