MasterCard Senior Managing Counsel, New Payment Platforms in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Managing Counsel, New Payment Platforms
Mastercard is a technology company in the global payments business, connecting customers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses worldwide and enabling them to use secure and convenient electronic forms of payment.
Mastercard is searching for an experienced commercial lawyer to lead a highly skilled global team supporting Mastercard’s New Payment Platforms business with a focus on bill payments, payment applications for retail and e-commerce and account-to-account transfers.
This role requires strong commercial knowledge and experience in the technology and financial/payment services space. This role will both supervise the daily activities of a team of lawyers and act as an advisor to Product and Sales clients to enable the delivery of the commercial objectives and strategy of the supported business units. Day-to-day work will include managing a team, contract drafting and negotiation, product development, regulatory and compliance assessments, and risk analysis.
This is a full-time role based in London or New York.
This role requires people management skills as well as the provision of high-quality advice to the assigned business units on a broad range of commercial and contractual matters and other areas, including:
• Managing the priorities of a global team of highly skilled lawyers in accordance with the business’ strategy and commercial objectives.
• Acting as the principal day-to-day advisor for clients, including partnering with the business and legal specialists to implement applicable laws and regulations that facilitate commercial operations and activities.
• Autonomously structuring, drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex technology service agreements and other agreements related to business operations and activities, including identifying risk, recommending modifications and approvals of legal agreements.
• Supporting cross-border contractual negotiations with merchants, suppliers and financial institutions as necessary.
• Helping to set and implement the business unit strategies, as well as responsibility for projects that benefit the team or department.
• Facilitating thoughtful risk-taking to enable the business units to deliver on strategy.
• Operating as a trusted advisor to the business clients with respect to wide-ranging issues including:
o Applicability of laws and regulations;
o Identification and protection of intellectual property and confidential data;
o Compliance with internal policies and standards;
o Review and approval of product constructs; and
o Training to sales and product teams.
• Partnering with outside counsel to coordinate research, investigate legal issues, and ensure compliance with regulations within agreed terms and budget.
• Collaborating with in-house specialists (including Regulatory, Compliance, Data Privacy, Franchise, and Intellectual Property counsel) to identify relevant issues and help the business effectively navigate legal risks and implement appropriate controls, policies and processes.
• Coaching and mentoring others while serving as a technical expert, often leading cross-functional strategic initiatives and sharing legal knowledge in the assigned business unit.
Please note that roles within Mastercard evolve with the needs of the business and department. Therefore, the above is a guideline and by no means comprehensive.
• Experience managing a team of skilled professionals or strong desire to do so coupled with an empathic nature.
• Strong drafting and negotiations skills with the ability to analyze and manage complex issues and deal structures and to progress them to conclusion.
• Highly confident and a problem solver able to tackle unfamiliar situations.
• Must be able to lead a team towards set objectives and work collaboratively; ability to multi-task effectively in a fast-paced team environment.
• Must have strong communication skills with team members, clients and colleagues.
• Must be a team player and willing to take on a variety of responsibilities and roles that support the team, department and company.
• Proven experience working with complex legal transactions at a reputable law firm, including preferably some time working in a global role at a multinational company.
Candidates with experience in technology and financial/payments will be at a distinct advantage.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-120085