MasterCard Senior Managing Counsel, Corporate Finance and Governance in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Managing Counsel, Corporate Finance and Governance
The Corporate Law Team is responsible for, among other things, legal support to the company and the Board of Directors on corporate governance, treasury, securities and Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) reporting, including advising on disclosure issues and compliance with securities law, other public company obligations and ESG frameworks. This role will report to an experienced attorney and be part of a small team of lawyer and non-lawyer governance professionals supporting governance, sustainability, public company reporting and general treasury matters.
• The role includes providing thoughtful legal advice on treasury, securities and governance issues (including as relates to ESG), drafting SEC filings, memos and other legal documents, assisting the team on key projects and periodic tasks and overseeing and coordinating with law firms.
• The role will also provide broader support for the Corporate Law team in its representation of Global Finance, including traditional treasury work – ISDAs, investment agreements, bond offerings, credit facilities, share buybacks and so forth.
• Are you interested in public company securities, treasury and governance work and in supporting the company as a whole and its Board of Directors on critical matters, including as relates to ESG?
• Are you motivated to be a part of a best-in-class governance function?
• Do you have the creativity and initiative to find solutions on both critical issues and increasing process efficiency?
• Assist with preparation and filing of proxy statement, including director independence determinations, shareholder proposals and shareholder meeting matters
• Assist with review of sustainability report and ESG ratings and rankings submissions, as well as work on other related ESG reporting or disclosure issues as they arise
• Assist with execution of our treasury initiatives, including bond offerings, credit facilities, share buybacks and so forth
• Benchmark securities, ESG and governance issues and trends
All About You
• Licensed attorney. Experience with legal research, analysis and drafting legal documents, including in treasury, securities and governance matters.
• Experience with technology and databases related to corporate governance and SEC filings is important, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to build relationships a key - excellent people skills and communication skills.
• Must be resourceful and self-driven: have the ability to analyze what is needed, learn how to find the information requested, ask questions, and respond promptly.
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-158985