MasterCard Senior Counsel, Products & Innovation in Purchase, New York
Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless at https://www.priceless.com/ ®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Senior Counsel, Products & Innovation
Senior Counsel – Products & Innovation
Mastercard is a technology company in the global payments business, connecting cardholders, customers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses worldwide.
Mastercard’s global Commercial Products team is responsible for building innovative products to reduce complexity, cut costs and automate processes in the B2B payments ecosystem. These include the Mastercard Track™ portfolio of products and solutions. The Commercial Products team is also tasked to grow Mastercard’s market share and volume in Corporate and B2B cards.
Mastercard is seeking an experienced lawyer to join our global Products and Innovation (P&I) legal team for providing comprehensive legal support and counsel to the Commercial Products business.
The Senior Counsel, P&I role requires strong commercial acumen and experience in supporting new product development in the financial services space. The role will support the development and distribution of Commercial Products offerings, including drafting and negotiating contracts, and legal risk management related to B2B payments automation and trade platforms.
This full-time role will report into the Senior Managing Counsel in the P&I legal team, and the key responsibilities for the role include:
• Partnering with product, sales, franchise, marketing, and other teams to develop and launch innovative products and solutions that differentiate Mastercard and meet our customers’ rapidly changing needs.
• Structuring and negotiating a wide range of contracts (including complex technology agreements, customer and vendor agreements) to drive issuer, merchant acceptance and consumer adoption of Commercial solutions.
• Collaborating with in-house and external specialists (including regulatory, compliance, data protection, and intellectual property counsel) to identify relevant issues and help the business effectively navigate legal risks.
• Providing support to the Commercial product and regional sales teams to support product sales initiatives.
• Advising business on a wide range of commercial and contractual matters including legal and business risk assessment and analysis on diverse matters from new product constructs to commercial agreements.
• Taking responsibility for special projects while continuing to handle a steady stream of day-to-day matters.
• Ensuring compliance with Mastercard’s policies and procedures and providing applicable training to the business.
• Managing external counsel within agreed policy and budget.
All About You
• Qualified lawyer with a solid academic and training background.
• Extensive legal experience, preferably including in-house work experience.
• Familiarity with laws and regulations in the banking and payments space will be considered favorably.
• Ability to grasp complex new business concepts and develop and implement creative approaches to problems while identifying and balancing risks with results.
• Strong business acumen, and a keen interest in technology.
• Strong drafting and negotiating skills across a range of complex commercial contracts and the ability to analyze and identify core legal issues.
• Exposure to a broad range of transactional, commercial and technology law issues.
• Strong working knowledge of data privacy and intellectual property issues.
• Team player and great attitude.
• Self-starter and ability to work independently.
• Experience working on global agreements, across multiple jurisdictions and time zones.
• Solutions-orientated and able to work flexibly, under pressure, and with tight deadlines.
• Lively interest in the business of Mastercard and an enjoyment of working in a fast-paced environment.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Requisition ID: R-100382