MasterCard Senior Counsel, Consumer Products - Installments in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Counsel, Consumer Products - Installments
Senior Counsel, Consumer Products - Installments
Mastercard is seeking an attorney to be responsible for providing comprehensive, end-to-end, strategic legal counsel and support to the Global Consumer Products team, which is part of Mastercard’s global Product & Engineering group that provides cutting edge products and services to Mastercard’s customers and cardholders.
This full-time role is based in Purchase, NY and will provide end to end commercial and product development support for the business. The selected candidate will:
• Identify, analyze and advise business teams on, the legal, regulatory and commercial risks related to the development of Mastercard’s digital consumer products – with a specific focus on the development and commercialization of Mastercard’s buy now pay later (BNPL)/installments products
• Collaborate with the business to bring to market and scale Mastercard's installment solutions globally
• Structure, draft, and negotiate commercial agreements with Mastercard customers and partners (e.g. acquirers, issuers, lenders and other partners), merchants, payment service providers and other stakeholders within the payments and lending/BNPL ecosystem
• Provide legal advice to the business on a wide range of commercial and contractual matters
• Work cross-functionally across various product and legal teams, including issuer, consumer products, digital, merchant, data privacy, intellectual property, anti-trust, regulatory affairs, public policy, franchise and services business lines and functions to provide holistic support to Mastercard’s global and regional installments strategy
• Build and deploy frameworks, processes and playbooks that enable Mastercard’s instalments solutions to be efficiently and effectively rolled out, at scale, across the regions.
• Work with internal and external regulatory counsel and regional colleagues to understand the impact of local laws, government regulations and directives relating to Mastercard's installment solutions.
• Advise business teams on new legal or regulatory trends and risks that may impact Mastercard’s installments strategy and the overall business
• Work closely with the business teams on ideating, strategizing and executing the company’s installments strategy
• Identify and implement improvements and efficiencies in the product development process;
• Develop strong relationships with product development, business and sales teams, and senior management across multiple regions
• Assist with the creation of project plans, trackers, training materials and guides, and provide training for business clients and law department colleagues
• Support other (non instalments/BNPL) projects within the broader Consumer Solutions legal team
All About You
• Experience working on with complex legal transactions at a reputable law firm, or as an in-house counsel
• Product development experience is a plus
• JD from an accredited law school; admitted to and in good standing with the NY bar
• Highly confident, a thought leader and a problem solver to be able to tackle unfamiliar situations
• Keen business insight and strong communication skills to interact confidently and effectively
• Fast learner who can gain rapid familiarity with complex and evolving products and solutions and navigate complex legal and regulatory challenges.
• Solutions-orientated and able to work flexibly, under pressure, and with tight deadlines.
• Team player and great attitude.
• Must be willing to take on a variety of responsibilities and roles that support the team, department and the company.
• Must be able to work independently and collaboratively, and multi-task effectively in a fast-paced team environment
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-170487