MasterCard Manager, U.S. Economist in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Manager, U.S. Economist
• the Mastercard Economics Institute’s mission is to drive macroeconomic thought leadership in support of Mastercard’s efforts to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy
• the Economics Institute was launched in 2020 to analyze macroeconomic trends through the lens of the consumer to deliver tailored and actionable insights on economic issues for key customers, partners and policymakers.
• In addition to global, regional and local macro-economic views and trends, the institute also produces thematic research covering consumer spending, risk, small business, policy, digital and travel; macro indices, forecasts and cutting-edge research.
• the institute constitutes a team of economists and data scientists that utilize & synthesize data sets both from within Mastercard and beyond to bring powerful insights to life
• the institute delivers tailored 1:1 presentations, views, analyses, indices and macroeconomic assets for smarter decision making and also contributes to global thought leadership via thematic papers, research, tentpole events and media participation
about the role
• we are looking for an economist/data wizard in Mastercard’s regional economics team focused on creating custom, interactive and actionable insights for priority customers in the US & Canada
• this individual will report to the Chief US Economist and have the following responsibilities:
• wrangling and creating new economic indicators and tailored insights for our customers
• assist in developing and maintaining macroeconomic views for the US & Canada
• create tailored dashboards that demonstrate economic relationships for customer presentations
• support the creation of briefing documents for Mastercard leadership teams and regional advisory boards, support writing regular outlooks & blogs
• collaborate with the data scientists/quantitative economists, thematic researchers, product developers, commercialization & delivery/service teams to create interactive and tailored presentations
• work with the data science/quantitative economics team to explore alternative data sets, modeling and forecasting to push the boundaries in more traditional economics
• work with the segment leads, product development and engineering teams to share regional views, compelling insights for new product development and customer queries
• participate in all stages of the project from briefing to ideation to exploration of data, insights, storyboarding and final presentation
• a tech savvy data scientist / economist, with an entrepreneurial mindset, motivated by curiosity
• strong collaborator working across cross functional teams within the institute and the broader mastercard teams
• a creative and passionate economist with knowledge of both developed and emerging economies within the region
• evidence of both orthodox and experimental approaches in economic thinking, interpretation or application
• manage complex projects and timelines effectively and handling evolving situations fluidly
• must have good knowledge of econometrics and economic relationships
• familiarity with coding in R as well as visualization tools such as Tableau
• comfortable working in a fast paced and fluid environment, staying calm under pressure
• openness to new ideas, approaches, challenges and environments
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-149461