MasterCard Director, Risk Management & Insurance Services in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director, Risk Management & Insurance Services
As part of the Risk Management & Insurance Services (RMIS) team, you will play a leadership role in the oversight, management, and innovation of our risk management and captive insurance operations. The position will play a central role in managing the corporation’s underwriting/risk retention strategy and program through traditional and alternative risk transfer solutions. In addition to close collaboration globally with members of the Finance, Controllership, Legal and Product teams, the incumbent will also play a role in guiding and managing relationships with key outside firms (insurers, actuaries, auditors, reinsurers, captive management company), and in supporting the business in its management of insurers.
The position reports to the SVP of Risk Management and Insurance Services.
• Develop/maintain a close understanding of the underwriting risk arising from the corporation’s risk profile and portfolio of insurance offerings
• Collaborate with SVP on strategic planning and oversight of captive insurance company; design, evaluation, and execution of new lines of coverage
• Responsible for managing captive financial statement process, captive financial activity, cash management, annual audits, actuarial studies and integration in MA’s financial statements
• Continually analyze/evaluate captive programs to maximize captive performance and optimize captive utilization
• Perform risk analysis as required to support other areas of the business requiring insurance expertise
• Collaborate with outside actuaries/insurers, data processors and other vendors providing services to the RMIS team
• Play a central role in the analysis and monitoring of a risk-hedging (reinsurance) program
• Ensure that the corporation captures and can leverage risk/claims/loss information related to its insurance product offerings
• Support the product development activities of the Mastercard insurance-focused product organizations
• Play a central role in ensuring that internal customers/sponsors and key stakeholders are kept informed, and that relationships are strong and collaborative
All About You:
Knowledge and Experience
• Extensive risk management and insurance experience
• Experience in risk analysis/underwriting; knowledge of actuarial techniques and risk modeling, and of the underwriting and risk management processes of commercial insurers
• Knowledge/experience with direct-marketed insurance products
• Demonstrated knowledge of insurance and risk management terminology and concepts;
• Familiarity with corporate insurance products and risk management practices
• Experience with risk-hedging program development and management; knowledge/experience with risk financing alternatives (e.g., captive, etc)
• Track-record of managing and partnering with third-party advisors and service providers
• Track-record of successfully operating within a complex global organization
• Knowledge of the card-based loyalty insurance a plus
• Experience managing a P&L
• Working knowledge of insurance accounting
• Track record of developing new insurance products a plus
• MBA &/or post-undergraduate degree preferred
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong quantitative/financial and qualitative analytical skills; ability to organize and analyze/synthesize a significant amount of exposure data and risk information
• An independent thinker and strong problem-solver
• Excellent communication skills (verbal & written); Ability to explain complex issues in simple terms
• Strong presentation & organizational skills
• Strong project management skills and the ability to manage/participate in multiple, concurrent work streams
• Ability to build strong, collaborative and high-trust working relationships
• Ability and desire to function within a high-performing team and complex, global organization
• Hybrid/flex position is based in Purchase, NY
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Westchester County Salary Range: $145,000 - $224,000
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Requisition ID: R-182865