MasterCard Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection
The Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection will support the Privacy and Data Protection team to ensure privacy compliance is built into Mastercard data-driven products, in particular with respect to the Mastercard C&I digital identity strategy.
The Counsel - Privacy & Data Protection will support the Cyber and Intelligence (C&I) solutions team to ensure privacy compliance is built into Mastercard data-driven products. Ability to understand complex privacy & data protection laws as well as new technologies, such us digital identity and biometrics, and to develop creative legal solutions while ensuring compliance with all privacy and data protection laws globally. Key responsibilities include:
• Ensure that Mastercard C&I Identity solutions comply with all global, regional and local privacy and data protection laws – including the GDPR, LGPD in Brazil, the CCPA/CPRA, as well as Mastercard’s Binding Corporate Rules (“BCRs”).
• Negotiate contracts with customers, partners and vendors to ensure compliance with privacy and data protection laws.
• Identify legal, business and technical infrastructure requirements and controls to enable privacy compliance adopting a Privacy by Design process; work with legal, business, technical teams as well as coordinate with external counsel to assist implementation.
• Assist the team to conduct data protection impact assessments where required, and to identify and implement privacy controls and safeguards to remediate risks.
• Engage with the organization to assist in training employees on privacy and data protection requirements and raise employee awareness about privacy and data protection developments.
All About You:
Education and Experience
• Law degree required. Any additional qualifications in privacy (e.g. Master of Laws degree, CIPP certification) are welcome
• Membership to a Bar (if permitted by law)
• Experience in privacy and data protection law is required
• Experience in contract drafting and negotiations is an asset
• Legal mindset is a must;
• Pro-active approach to problem-solving;
• Expertise in and track record dealing with international privacy laws such as the GDPR, CCPA/CPRA and LGPD in Brazil;
• Ability to familiarize with privacy legal frameworks in other jurisdictions quickly
• Experience in contract negotiation;
• Ability to collaborate with various types of stakeholders (business, lawyers, third parties such as customers and vendors);
• Superior time management, planning, and organizational skills;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Attention to detail is a must;
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering.
Must work well in both team and individual settings;
• Familiarity with the financial services industry and biometric and identity technologies, a plus; and,
• Ability to motivate and influence other professionals.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-141202