MasterCard Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection
• Mastercard is committed to balancing innovation while protecting individual privacy and has embraced privacy and data protection as core to the successful execution of its business strategy. As part of that commitment, Mastercard has established a world-class privacy program and is currently adding talent to its global team.
• The Counsel role will ensure compliance with global privacy and data protection laws while enabling data-driven innovation within the Mastercard Data & Services organization, with particular focus on supporting—upon closing of the transaction—a recently-acquired personalization platform and decision engine company.
• The position will report to the Senior Managing Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection – Data & Services, and will serve as a member of both the Global Privacy & Data Protection team and the Law & Policy team.
• The ideal candidate will have the ability to think and act both strategically and tactically with respect to the needs of business clients and their objectives while ensuring that the corporation remains compliant with global privacy and data-related laws, as well as industry best practices.
• Engage with business stakeholders on their expectations for the acquired personalization platform and decision engine company’s technology and services, and accelerate Mastercard's initiatives related to digital commerce.
• Partner with the Senior Managing Counsel to manage the integration of the acquired company, proposed synergies, future product development with privacy by design, and strategy while: (i) ensuring compliance with corporate standards and privacy and data protection laws including GDPR, GLBA, and CCPA, (ii) coordinating with regional counsel to ensure compliance with other laws, and (iii) collaborating with privacy engineers on privacy engineering projects.
• Review and amend the acquired company’s customer agreements (including data processing agreements), privacy policies and documentation practices, and overall data practices.
• Identify business requirements resulting from new and evolving privacy laws and regulations and provide guidance and thought leadership on topics including the use of emerging / advanced technologies in a privacy-compliant manner.
• Educate the business on legal developments and controls.
All About You
• JD from an accredited law school, and admitted to and in good standing with at least one bar (as appropriate/required).
• Demonstrated experience and technical familiarity with data analytics, computer science, and/or mathematics preferred.
• Expertise in global privacy and data regulatory laws and frameworks, including GLBA, CCPA, and GDPR.
• Demonstrated experience in relevant technologies including anonymization and/or artificial intelligence (and familiarity with ethical frameworks, data governance, and accountability).
• Familiarity with the financial services industry.
• Familiarity with emerging technologies and associated privacy implications.
• Strong analytic capabilities and written and oral communication skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering with legal, business, and technical colleagues.
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-158174