MasterCard Counsel, Commercial & B2B Solutions in Purchase, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Counsel, Commercial & B2B Solutions
Mastercard’s Products & Engineering legal team is looking for a Counsel, responsible for providing comprehensive, end-to-end, legal support to the Commercial & B2B Solutions (CBS) business group. CBS is responsible for building innovative products to reduce complexity, cut costs and automate processes in the B2B payments ecosystem. These include the Smart Data expense management tool, and Mastercard Track™ portfolio of products and solutions. The Commercial Products team is also tasked to grow Mastercard’s market share and volume in Corporate and B2B cards. The ideal candidate is passionate about the customer experience journey, highly motivated, intellectually curious, analytical, and possesses an entrepreneurial mindset.
The role will support the development and distribution of Commercial Products offerings, including drafting and negotiating contracts, and legal risk management related to Travel and Expense and B2B payments automation and expense reporting platforms.
This full-time role will report into the Senior Managing Counsel in the Products & Engineering legal team, and the key responsibilities for the role include:
• Partnering with product, sales, franchise, marketing, and other teams to develop and launch innovative products and solutions that differentiate Mastercard and meet our customers’ rapidly changing needs.
• Structuring and negotiating a wide range of contracts (including complex technology agreements, customer and vendor agreements) to drive issuer, merchant acceptance and consumer adoption of Commercial solutions.
• Collaborating with in-house and external specialists (including regulatory, compliance, data protection, and intellectual property counsel) to identify relevant issues and help the business effectively navigate legal risks.
• Providing support to the Commercial product and regional sales teams to support product sales initiatives.
• Advising business on a wide range of commercial and contractual matters including legal and business risk assessment and analysis on diverse matters from new product constructs to commercial agreements.
• Taking responsibility for special projects while continuing to handle a steady stream of day-to-day matters.
• Ensuring compliance with Mastercard’s policies and procedures and providing applicable training to the business.
• Managing external counsel within agreed policy and budget.
All About You
• Qualified lawyer with a solid academic and training background.
• Extensive legal experience, preferably including in-house work experience.
• Familiarity with laws and regulations in the banking and payments space will be considered favorably.
• Ability to grasp complex new business concepts and develop and implement creative approaches to problems while identifying and balancing risks with results.
• Strong business acumen, and a keen interest in technology.
• Strong drafting and negotiating skills across a range of complex commercial contracts and the ability to analyze and identify core legal issues.
• Exposure to a broad range of transactional, commercial and technology law issues.
• Strong working knowledge of data privacy and intellectual property issues.
• Team player and great attitude.
• Self-starter and ability to work independently.
• Experience working on global agreements, across multiple jurisdictions and time zones.
• Solutions-orientated and able to work flexibly, under pressure, and with tight deadlines.
• Lively interest in the business of Mastercard and an enjoyment of working in a fast-paced environment.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-142718