MasterCard Lead Performance Engineer in Peterborough, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Lead Performance Engineer
Mastercard Prepaid Services (MPMS) provide end-to-end prepaid card solutions for clients and partners. We have an expanding and evolving technical platform that supports our global portfolio of prepaid card programs. Delivering innovative prepaid payments is a technology business, and we provide entire solutions for travel & transit, foreign exchange, gift and buy-now-pay-later. We consider ourselves to be Fintech enablers.
The Lead Performance engineer will be responsible for 'all things performance' for the MPMS Program. Reporting into the Test & Quality function the role will involve building a performance engineering capability with stakeholders from across the program: product, solutions engineering, software engineering, performance testing and business operations.
Key themes: Visible Leadership, Technical Depth, and Proactivity
• Partners with technology staff and management to identify, scope and lead projects; drive quality standards to enable built-in software quality and performance
• Provides strategic leadership related to specific applications and systems in the areas of performance test and strategy, automation, and testing methodologies
• Develop & drive the performance engineering strategy (proactive, continuous, end-to-end performance testing and monitoring)
• Provides critical input to performance environment needs and develops schedules for ongoing performance testing activities
• Ensure that all features coming through the pipeline have appropriate NFR’s captured, are sense checked and testable
• Develop and maintains NFR catalogue and inputs into WLB models to ensure customer outcomes are met and KPI’s adhered to
• Drives capacity planning and proving to future proof the platforms for growth
• Build out the current frameworks to extend to chaos testing to prove highly available and heavily resilient systems (circuit breakers, kill switches, active-active)
• Be on point for any performance relate defect leakage and ensure root cause analysis is performed and any gaps addressed
• Identifies and implements opportunities to improve effectiveness and time-to-market; identifies opportunities for resiliency and scalability for multiple applications (owns associated features)
• Applies advanced technical capabilities within own discipline to coach and develop technical talent and test teams, within the program and wider Mastercard performance engineering community
• Provides input into performance appraisal process for several junior employees or team members
All About You
Essential knowledge, skills and experience:
• Bachelor's degree in a technical field or equivalent experience.
• Strong communication skills -- both verbal and written, strong relationship and collaboration skills.
• Deep knowledge and understanding of Agile software engineering concepts and methodologies.
• Expert in testing (not limited to performance) across a variety of platforms; web and mobile user interface, web services (REST and SOAP) and Big Data
• Expert in designing and implementing performance test strategies across multiple platforms.
• Expert in writing performance tests and scripts using JMeter or equivalent load test tool a well as integrating with continuous integration (Jenkins/Bamboo)
• Experience in AWS/PCF/Cloud / Hadoop Performance testing/ scaling concepts and bottleneck analysis
• Strong monitoring, debugging and root cause analysis skills, experience in Dynatrace/AppDynamics/Splunk
• Expert in performance tuning activities and code level understanding of application
• Experience in service virtualisation/ framework implementation knowledge
• Experience in thread & heap dump monitoring and analysis
• Exposure on Unix Jobs/Database validations and batch handling processes
• Exposure to cloud performance testing and Devops
• Programming languages C# and/or Java/ Groovy/spring boot/shell
• Experience of using Windows / UNIX / Linux / Web / Database performance monitors.
• Successfully led small to large-scale software testing across multiple technologies and groups
• Hands-on, high-energy, detail-oriented, proactive and able to function independently under pressure
• Able to confidently inform and lead your strategies
• Ability to quickly learn and implement new technologies, frameworks and tools
• Able to support multiple concurrent activities and to interface with external / internal resources
• Are an enthusiastic ambassador for new technology
• You bring diversity of perspectives from a varied technical career background.
Do any of these describe you? What will make you stand out:
• Experience in delivering solutions in the Financial Services sector, Airlines, Fintechs or Start-Ups.
• Experience in cloud migration, CI/CD, Web applications, Web services & API design
• Web application related technologies – Java, Spring Framework
• Security – Security Architecture, Security by design, vulnerability management
• Cloud and DevOps Architecture, especially via containerisation
• Knowledge of payment processing and tokenisation
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-140514