MasterCard Quality Engineering - Performance Architect in O'Fallon, Missouri
Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the worlds fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless ®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Quality Engineering - Performance Architect
Looking for an Advanced Mainframe/Linux Performance Architect with extensive experience and willing to
take ownership for platform performance from the inception to delivery that will also help support
performance for complex financial platforms while in production. This position is for someone with
advanced technical knowledge who really likes to dig deep and uncover the smallest detail around
Be a part of the Central Performance Engineering team at Mastercard. The chosen candidate for this
position will be an Advanced Systems Performance Architect and someone that is fluent in
shell scripting, performance utilities and Java/C/C++ programming languages/scripting.
The ideal candidate will be very familiar with both Mainframe/Linux (Shell Scripting) programming
and Mainframe/Linux operations to provide guidance/consultation/testing with respect to engineering
software for performance to product delivery teams and aligning infrastructure configurations for
best overall performance.
They will provide guidance and testing services to architects, developers, operations personnel, network
personnel, etc. with respect to helping teams design and develop high performing Linux/Mainframe
applications that operate with a predictable platform design with respect to capacity. This position
will help lead performance discipline throughout software development lifecycle to analyze business
requirements and customer preferences, and recommend best performance practices in
working with various application delivery teams. They will share technical acumen with both DEV,
operations and testing resources while they measure, test, and design, inspect, and be ultimately help
drive delivery of high performing/high scalable Mainframe/Linux solutions at MasterCard using an agile
methodology. This candidate will conduct both manual and automated performance testing, manage
performance defects, and troubleshoot performance issues covering platform hardware analysis,
scalability, and application profiling (Splunk, Dynatrace, Databases, etc). They will partner with
operations teams and bridge the gap between understanding of software and infrastructure when it
comes to knowledge around performance. The candidate will continue to find better and more
efficient ways to help MasterCard assure quality and scale its platforms while meeting customer
needs. They will continue to drive the Performance Engineering practice.
1. Production Performance Analysis and Tuning of Mainframe/Linux products/platforms.
2. Create Performance Test Plans for MasterCard products.
3. Perform release and software patch performance testing of Financial Mainframe/Linux Product Suites
4. Perform Mainframe/Linux Code reviews to assure code is adhering to best performance practices and
assist with performance related problem resolutions.
5. Provide mainframe consultation/implementation instructions for tuning software for best
6. Analyze Oracle/Postgres/DB2/SQL database related performance issues.
7. Work with both onshore and offshore talent to complete performance related tasks.
8. Adhere to and enforce consistent company and department testing standards and procedures.
9. Provide weekly status information regarding progress and provide presentations to stakeholders.
Must have good communication skills.
10. Work across many problem domains to help with performance related issues as assigned.
11. Tune Mainframe, understand AORs, priorities, message queuing, TCP/IP services, MQ Series
clustering/optimization, etc. and having an understanding of tuning Linux/Aix servers for the best
12. Understand Network latencies, geolocation and bandwidth dependencies around performance,
caching and both front and backend optimization techniques.
13. Experience with Splunk, Dynatrace, LoadRunner or JMeter (or other load generation tool).
14. Good understanding of load balancing, compression, optimization techniques, etc.
15. Good understanding of TCP/IP sockets, UDP, and Network performance analysis using
16. Have good understanding of Mainframe/Linux performance design patterns and anti-patterns.
17. Experience with C/C++ and/or JEE/Java distributed platforms is a must
18. Perform Capacity Planning for Mainframe/Linux platforms.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Requisition ID: R-65276