MasterCard Manager, Software Engineering in O'Fallon, Missouri
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Manager, Software Engineering
At Mastercard, our industry expertise is enhanced by our commitment to being a force for good in the world and to doing well by doing good. Mastercard relies on our global workforce to help us achieve our goal of building a sustainable, inclusive global economy. The Mastercard Way encourages us, connects us with the behaviors that represent the essence of not only what we do but who we are as an organization. Cultivating an environment for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views and experiences drives a global and collaborative culture of inclusion and sense of belonging.
MasterCard software engineering teams leverage Agile development principles, advanced development and design practices, and an obsession over security, reliability, and performance to deliver solutions that delight our customers. We're looking for talented software development engineers to develop advanced technologies and applications that are revolutionizing payments.
• Are you passionate about software engineering?
• Do you enjoy seeing the impact your code has on a wide range of customers?
• Do you want to work for a company that offers above and beyond benefits including paid parental leave, flexible work hours, gift matching, and even volunteer incentives while encouraging your own professional learning and development?
• Do you thrive in a place where you are continuously learning more while growing your skills and career?
• Do you want to join a Company that offers a competitive benefits-and rewards program that attracts, develops and retains the most talented employees around the world?
• Do you want to join an inclusive culture where employees, in all their diversity, feel valued, respected and who can bring their authentic selves to work?
As a Software Engineering Manager on the Rewards Insights and Analytics Engineering team, you will lead the engineering team that develops data & analytics solutions that sit on top vast datasets gathered by our Issuer Rewards suite of products. The challenge will be to create high-performance algorithms, cutting-edge analytical techniques including machine learning and artificial intelligence, and intuitive workflows that allow our users to derive insights from big data that in turn drive their businesses. You will have the opportunity to create high-performance analytic solutions based on data sets measured in the billions of transactions and front-end visualizations to unleash the value of big data.
You will have the opportunity to develop data-driven innovative analytical solutions and identify opportunities to support business and client needs in a quantitative manner and facilitate informed recommendations/decisions through activities like building ML models, automated data pipelines, designing data architecture/schema, performing jobs in big data cluster by using different execution engines and program languages such as Hive/Impala, Python, Spark, R, etc.
Engineering Managers will split their time between Technical (60%), Managerial (30%) and Recruiting (10%) activities
Hire, mentor, and retain a best-of-class engineering team
Continuously engage and improve teams’ performance by conducting recurring 1-1 meetings, knowing your people, managing career development, and understanding who is at risk
Provide and facilitate timely feedback, coaching in the moment, and mentoring for staff at all levels
Provide strategic thinking and leadership related to a wide range of applications and systems, or software-development methodologies
Emulate and drive Mastercard Way behaviors through their behavior, recognitions, coaching, and employee engagement
Ensure objectives and development plans are established at the start of the year and reviewed continuously throughout the year
Perform Quality Inspections and Walkthroughs, Design Review, Code Review and Security Review to ensure compliance with MasterCard standards.
Formally supervise and coach engineers
Hands-on developer/architect who writes high quality, secure code that is modular, functional, and testable.
Create or introduce, test, and deploy disruptive technology to optimize existing services and/or create new market opportunities
Have strong ownership of your team’s software and are deep in the maintenance characteristics, runtime properties and dependencies including hardware, operating system, and build.
Lead by example with hands-on approaches to demonstrate engineering excellence
Mentor and guide software engineers and lead the team to improve engineering productivity, quality, and technology policy compliance
All about you
· Degree in Computer Science or related field
· You are an excellent communicator - able to understand and explain complex ideas clearly, orally or in writing.
· You are a self-starter capable of identifying problems or areas of opportunity and implementing solutions.
· Solid understanding and experience integrating as well as building scalable and performing web services
· Experience identifying and remediating vulnerabilities
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
· Engage and manage a team of software engineers, including task planning and code reviews.
· Expert foundation in algorithms, data structures and core computer science concepts – able to teach/mentor others in their learning
· Strong experience on full stack development using Java, SpringBoot, AngularJs, Node.js.
· Solid understanding of micro service architecture and cloud native application development principles.
· Proficiency with cloud technologies (IaaS, PaaS, serverless technology, NoSQL databases), micro-service design, CI/CD, DevOps
· Experience designing scalable fault tolerant platforms that are resilient to infrastructure failures
· Mentor and teacher of new technologies and design patterns
· Outstanding communication and organizational skills
· Experience in building and deploying production-level data-driven applications and data processing workflows/pipelines and/or implementing machine learning systems at scale in Java, Scala, or Python and deliver analytics involving all phases like data ingestion, feature engineering, modeling, tuning, evaluating, monitoring, and presenting
· Expertise in data modeling, implementing complex stored procedures and standard DWH and ETL concepts.
· High proficiency in using Python/Spark, Hadoop platforms & tools (Hive, Impala, Airflow, NiFi), SQL to build Big Data products & platforms
· Demonstrated basic knowledge of statistical analytical techniques, coding, and data engineering
· Curiosity, creativity, and excitement for technology and innovation
· Ability to multi-task and strong attention to detail
· Motivation, flexibility, self-direction, and desire to learn and implement new technologies
· Experience working with data lakes and relevant architectures
· Drive, and ability to learn new technologies
#LI-HybridIn the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Requisition ID: R-184285