MasterCard Senior Counsel – Cross-Border Services in New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Counsel – Cross-Border Services
Senior Counsel – Cross-Border Services
Location: New York City or Purchase, NY headquarters
Mastercard’s Cross-Border Services team (CBS) is driving innovation and growth to meet today’s demands for simple, certain, and secure international payments. CBS is a portfolio of integrated assets and capabilities designed to service key verticals and multiple payment experiences. Through a single connection, we enable partners the ability to reach a variety of endpoints—account, card, mobile wallet, or cash payout—nearly anywhere in the world. CBS is seeking an experienced lawyer to join the New Payment Platforms legal team, supporting the North American region.
The role requires strong commercial knowledge and experience in the financial or payment services space. The role will act as an advisor for Product and Sales clients by partnering with the business specialists to deliver on commercial objectives and strategy. Day-to-day work will include contract drafting and negotiation, regulatory and compliance assessments, and risk analysis.
This full-time role will report into the Senior Managing Counsel in the New Payment Platforms legal team based in Purchase, New York. The key responsibilities for the role include:
• Autonomously structuring, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide range of contracts (including complex customer and technology agreements) to drive origination services.
• Collaborating with in-house and external specialists (including Regulatory, Compliance, Data Privacy, and Intellectual Property) to identify relevant issues, help the business effectively navigate legal risks, and implement appropriate controls.
• Training and educating clients on processes, risks, and the current legal landscape.
• Ensuring products and services comply with Mastercard’s corporate policies, such as anti-bribery and anti-corruption and financial risk management.
• Identifying needed process improvements and efficiencies and owning and executing solutions to support our transformation strategy. Streamlining processes to increase ease of doing business.
• Taking responsibility for special projects while continuing to handle a steady stream of day-to-day matters.
• Managing external counsel within budget.
All About You
• Qualified lawyer with extensive experience, preferably including both law firm and in-house experience. Familiarity with laws and regulations in the banking and cross-border payments space will be considered favorably.
• Able to work independently as well as collaboratively, spot issues, prioritize, and multi-task effectively in a fast-paced environment.
• Keen business insight and strong communication skills to interact confidently and effectively with internal clients, Mastercard customers, and colleagues.
• Strong drafting and negotiating skills with the ability to understand and simplify complex concepts, issues, technologies, and deal structures.
• Solutions-orientated and able to work flexibly, under pressure, and with tight deadlines.
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-148778