MasterCard Vice President, Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Development in New York City, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Vice President, Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Development
This role is responsible for developing, articulating and implementing Mastercard’s minority investment and M&A initiatives to further the Company’s strategy.
It requires a big picture thinker able to connect Mastercard strategy with the payment industry insight, to see lateral opportunities across geographies and industries and to synthesize this view to generate partnership, investment and acquisition opportunities.
The ability to facilitate cross functional coordination is also critical to understand and foster the best internal thinking and to support successful related investment and acquisition execution.
• Generate Investment Ideas: Partner with various global and regional product and strategy teams to assess which of their growth strategies are potentially better executed via strategic investments and/or acquisitions. The output of this work is geographic / product strategy matrix, investment target profiles, capability heat maps on needs which outline existing organic capabilities and shortcomings.
• Global Product Support: Develop deep understanding of our products and solutions and geographic markets to advance the identification of relevant and impactful investment or acquisition opportunities. Partner with various global product leadership team(s) on their inorganic growth strategies in assigned focus areas that may include our Middle East & Africa geographic teams, Enterprise Partnerships organization, Cyber & Intelligence, Financial Inclusion and Healthcare product areas.
• Market Engagement: Develop and maintain active engagement with relevant market players across the region among PE / VC investors, investment banks and other sources to ensure advantaged market visibility.
• Investment Profile Development & Execution: Converting inorganic growth objectives into optimal target investment profiles, source and screen investment candidates against those profiles and prioritize related deal execution.
• Investment Business Case Building: Structure and articulate end-to-end analysis (strategic and financial) of prioritized target investments. Apply consulting-type frameworks and tools to develop robust and concise analysis and recommendations.
• Cross Functional Coordination: Develop deep understanding of our products and solutions and geographic markets to advance the identification of relevant and impactful investment or acquisition opportunities.
• Cross Team Transaction Execution: Based on the nature of the specific investment or acquisition, lead or support the related deal execution stages including due diligence, final approvals and definitive documentation.
All About You:
• Experience in similar role(s)
• Relevant industry knowledge and appetite/curiosity for exploration and constant update on market and industry trends and their impact on Mastercard’s business model;
• Industry & Functional Experience:
o Demonstrated success in Strategy and Corporate Development leadership roles
o Consulting/payments industries preferred - knowledge of Mastercard products; Investment Banking experience in Payments considered
o Strong Project Management skills - able to understand and coordinate complex organizational processes and consolidate input from multiple stakeholders
o Excellent verbal and written communication skills - ability to communicate findings in a compelling manner to internal and external audiences which include senior level executives; Previous experience in developing Board level materials desirable
• Organizational / Cultural Experience:
o Previous experience in a global/international role - strong multi-cultural sensibility required
o Strong relationship management and negotiation skills and the ability to influence across Mastercard
o Sound judgment to act autonomously and identify emerging issues and escalate them as required
• Intrinsic qualities:
o Highly motivated / Strong work ethic – Proven commitment to adapt and champion time sensitive/mission critical processes operating in a global and matrix-type organization
o Fast learner and able to link diverse sources of information to our business including ability to handle confidential information and materials with appropriate discretion
• Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or postgraduate strongly preferred
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-146416