MasterCard Principal Software Development Engineer in New York City, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Principal Software Development Engineer
Access Services Team is a dedicated collection of self-organizing, high performing, interdependent, co-located individuals representing different functional roles with all the necessary skills to create the foundational capabilities that application teams develop on top of it. This team leads with mission to provide overall stewardship of enterprise grade application architecture & design within the context of holistic software development. This includes driving the architecture & design decisions and building consensus around it. The team leads the exploration in software architecture & technology innovations along with enabling excellence in overall team.
Principal software development engineer at MasterCard is a technology leader within the organization and spearheads the system architecture, design and creating the implementations. He or she participates in the Software Development Life Cycle through Coaching, R&D, Proof of Concepts, Prototyping, Code review etc. He or she may also be required to administer training throughout various phases of the development cycle. Additionally, he or she influences the development practices so that they are in compliance with best practices, policies and procedures.
We demonstrate Mastercard values every day - own it, simplify it, sense of urgency, thoughtful risk-taking, unlock potential, and be inclusive – with a relentless focus on our customers. As a Principal Engineer at Mastercard, you are expected to carry out the following general duties:
Work on complex enterprise-wide initiatives spanning multiple services/programs and drives resolution
Collaborate with product ownership to identify gaps in capabilities, set direction and prioritize work
Contribute and lead Software Guild initiatives to improve the craftmanship of Software Engineering
Drive the architectural design, including dependent services, service interactions, and policies
Venture beyond comfort zone to take on assignments across different areas of Software Engineering
Take on organization-wide and public speaking engagements and publishes white papers and blogs on relevant and emerging technical topics
Consult across teams and across program lines to identify synergies and reuse opportunities
Write recommendations for job promotions based on an unbiased view of one's accomplishments
Conduct technical interviews for hiring engineering staff and raising the performance bar
• Successfully lead definition, development, and delivery of major cross-department initiatives with broad scope and long-term business implications. Collaborate with business and technical partners to identify and scope the opportunities, quantify costs, outline potential value and ROI, identify risks, benefits, and constraints. Partner with business to identify innovative solutions and drive strategic decisions. Actively look for opportunities for Innovation and creative problem solving. Make presentations to the Senior Management, Business Owners and other Stakeholders and help them in decision making process.
• Perform Proofs of Concept (PoCs) to assess and identify the technologies per the needs of the organization. Provide recommendation to Senior Management on selection of technologies and strategic technical direction for the department. Lead creation of roadmaps that align with the department strategy and long-term business vision and objectives. Coach and mentor team members, enable knowledge sharing via brownbag sessions on new and upcoming technologies, methodologies, and application appropriate frameworks.
• Lead implementation of processes and supporting tools per the evolving needs of the organization. Identifying process gaps, provide estimates for business solutions, define the initial scope/requirements of the project, and manage the scope during the lifecycle of the project. Plan overall project scope and define scope for each phase and iteration to meet business needs/time-to-market needs.
• Provide integration design and guidance to business partners for external party (merger or vendor) integrations with the rewards platform, ensuring security policies are properly enforced and technological due diligence is performed.
• Instruct and guide the team to ensure that appropriate processes and documentation is in use by the team. Ensure compliance to the defined standards. Actively look for opportunities to modify and enhance standards per the needs of the department. Develop documentation templates, lead, and enforce development of artifacts throughout the solution development lifecycle.
All About You
• Expert, applied knowledge in resilient and scalable architecture patterns and design
• Passionate DevSecOps advocate with expert, applied knowledge in modern, secure CI/CD practices and build systems
• Advanced experience with multiple object-oriented languages and/or functional languages
• Advanced knowledge of Cloud platforms including Azure and AWS
• Advanced understanding of HTTP and building RESTful Web Services
• Practical experience in Networking technologies (TCP/IP, HTTP(S), DNS)
• Ability to decompose complicated problems into well-understood and management units
• Passion for developing secure and high-quality software and an active participant in the Software Development Engineering Community
• Assertiveness to challenge the team to continually improve
• Extensive understanding of and experience with Software Engineering Concepts and Methodologies.
• Demonstrate MC Core Competencies.
• Proven ability to embody MC Leadership Principles.
• Proven capacity to lead and influence matrix-based project team members and work as a member of a diverse and geographically distributed team.
• Experience integrating systems within a service-oriented architecture and e-commerce platforms.
• Knowledge of design and security patterns coupled with an ability to persuade and assist in development. The applicant must have experience integrating technologies with SAML and OAuth tokens.
• Experience developing, designing, and operating global systems supporting multiple languages and currencies.
• Experience building de-coupled systems using technologies such as message queues, No-SQL data storage, etc.
• Experience implementing complicated projects and systems using agile methodologies.
• Must be politically savvy, high-energy, detail-oriented, proactive, and able to function under pressure in an independent environment. Possess the ability to have a high degree of initiative and self-motivation to drive results.
• Demonstrate ability to organize, manage, plan, and control several concurrent initiatives with conflicting needs.
• Ability to balance time between strategic thought and self-embedding with teams performing development, testing, and operational work. This ability is critical in leading the organization and innovating while also remaining in touch with reality.
• Design and database scripting for RDBMS/NoSQL.
• Design and development of enterprise web services using both SOAP and REST.
• Experience in optimizing code for performance and responsiveness
• Bachelor or master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-131706