MasterCard Director, Business Development in New York City, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director, Business Development
The Global Commercialization Office’s mission is to find and commercialize new areas for Mastercard’s technology and network by using Mastercard’s core competencies in new, different, and strategic ways. The group partners with existing clients and leading enterprises in verticals such as Smart Cities, Travel, and Trade to address global opportunities. The focus is to bundle Mastercard’s assets with our partners’ assets to target and develop new ecosystems.
Role: Director, Business Development & Account Management
The successful applicant will be responsible for building and maintaining relationship with strategic partners who are part of a global group. The role will work with cross-functional partners to deliver against set objectives and the strategy of the customer.
This individual will be responsible for:
• Understanding the customer’s strategy, and articulating ways in which Mastercard can help them achieve their goals
• Managing broad and involved customer relationships and coordinating activity across multiple internal and external stakeholders at various management levels
• Managing direct and indirect resources to deliver against key initiatives
• Bringing the customer thought leadership and insights, and leveraging Mastercard’s broader organization to pull together relevant and compelling content
• Understanding relevant market trends, regulation, competitor activity, and being able to identify the “so what” for the customer
• Identifying and negotiating/closing new business opportunities as well as retaining current products and solutions, within an umbrella of existing deals; comfortable managing an account P&L and a complex customer business agreement
• Initiating strategic business conversations with key decision makers around new or emerging opportunities with a focus on driving market share, volume and revenue growth
• Galvanizing multiple internal teams and leaders across Mastercard to deliver best-in-class service, insights, products, and value to the customer
• Engaging when required in operational activities, and dealing with incidents and escalations as needed
The role will ideally be based in San Francisco.
The ideal candidate is/will have:
• an experienced payments professional with a good understanding of the payments ecosystem, trends, landscape, economics, and value chain
• a proven track record in leading important strategic relationships; extensive account management experience, and must be able to demonstrate the ability to understand, build, and communicate effective value propositions
•experience in solution sales and/or partner management would be preferable
• able to lead customer facing and internal meetings, engage all parties to get to the heart of issues and/or opportunities, and interact, influence, and build consensus across a variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
• can challenge existing mantras, in a constructive and diplomatic manner
• experienced in operating and delivering successfully within a fast moving and internationally matrix-based organization
• a strong self-awareness, with an openness to different approaches/ideas and a commitment to challenge the status quo to deliver new business initiatives
• capable of securing and coordinating indirect resources across Mastercard’s matrix-based organization; critical to the success of this role will be securing the support required to deliver to your customer. Similarly, you will be able to navigate the customer’s organization
• able to demonstrate a structured and diligent approach. You’ll be hands-on, execution-oriented; project management skills are a big plus. Willing and able to drive progress of existing products/services/initiatives with your customer through to successful implementation
• an outstanding communicator, able to engage multiple different stakeholders. You’ll be skilled at reading a room and adjusting your message accordingly.
• have sound business judgment with proven financial acumen, analytical skills and negotiating experienceIn the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
NYC Salary Range: $160,000 - $247,000
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Requisition ID: R-181964