MasterCard Chief Economist, NAM, Economics Institute in New York City, New York
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Chief Economist, NAM, Economics Institute
All About Us
Mastercard is a technology company in the global payments business. We connect consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses worldwide and enable them to use secure and convenient electronic forms of payment.
Join the industry’s most passionate, motivated & engaged global team - Our employees are encouraged to drive innovation every day in support of a more connected world – A World Beyond Cash.
The Mastercard Economics Institute was launched in 2020 to analyze macroeconomic trends through the lens of the consumer. It comprises a team of economists, analysts and data scientists drawing on Mastercard insights—including Mastercard Spending Pulse™—and other publicly available data to deliver tailored and actionable insights on economic issues for key customers, partners and policymakers.
We are looking for a chief economist to lead Mastercard’s regional economics team focused on the Americas. This individual will report directly to the Chief Economist and:
• Develop and maintain macroeconomic views for all countries within the North America and LAC regions.
• Present to C-suite/senior management at priority customers within their regions.
• Brief Mastercard executives, senior management teams and regional advisory boards, write weekly/monthly/quarterly outlooks.
• Represent Mastercard in customer forums, industry events, including media appearances as needed (broadcast, print, & online) to position us as an industry leader with highly differentiated capabilities.
• Own the story creation and presentation dashboards for each customer presentation to develop custom and actionable insights.
• Drive thought leadership for the region in order to better explore data and economic relationships.
• Align with Mastercard regional Presidents and customer account leads to deliver insights for top strategic customers.
• Recruit, guide, manage and develop a team of high performing economists to unlock their potential & channel it to deliver the best output for Mastercard and our customers.
• Direct the country economists & data scientists to create interactive and tailored presentations.
• Work with the data science team to explore alternative data sets, modeling and forecasting to push the boundaries in more traditional economics.
• Help shape the global macroeconomic outlook and economic insights discipline and philosophy for the global team.
• Participate in all stages of the project including briefing, ideation, exploration of data, insights, storyboarding, and final presentation.
All About You
• You’re a tech savvy economist motivated by curiosity
• You have a proven track record for managing a forecast & view
• An accomplished and impactful presenter to executive audiences and media.
• Demonstrated thought leader via publications and industry forums.
• Accomplished in growing and nurturing senior talent.
• A creative and passionate economist with deep knowledge of both developed and emerging economies within the region.
• Evidence of both orthodox and experimental approaches in economic thinking, interpretation or application.
• Excellent relationship management skills and strong cross functional collaborator.
• Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
• A talent for managing complex projects and timelines effectively and handling evolving situations fluidly.
• Must have solid knowledge of econometrics and economic relationships.
• Familiarity with coding in SQL, R, Python, Tableau and other analytical tools.
• Experience with utilizing different machine learning and artificial intelligence tools
• Advanced degree in economics (Masters/PhD) or related field.
• Comfortable working in a fast paced and fluid environment, staying calm under pressure.
• Openness to new ideas, approaches, challenges and environments.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-102442