MasterCard Director - Data Engineering & Analytics in Miami, Florida
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director - Data Engineering & Analytics
Mastercard is the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee can be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Join a fast-growing team
As a Director - Data Engineering & Analytics, you will develop data & analytics solutions that sit atop vast datasets gathered by retail stores, restaurants, banks, and other consumer-focused companies. The challenge will be to create high-performance algorithms, cutting-edge analytical techniques including machine learning and artificial intelligence, and intuitive workflows that allow our users to derive insights from big data that in turn drive their businesses. You will have the opportunity to create high performance analytic solutions based on data sets measured in the billions of transactions and front-end visualizations to unleash the value of big data.
You will have the opportunity to develop data-driven innovative analytical solutions and identifying opportunities to support business and client needs in a quantitative manner and facilitate informed recommendations / decisions through activities like building ML models, automated data pipelines, design data architecture/schema, perform jobs in big data cluster by using different execution engines and program languages such as Hive/Impala, Python, Spark, R, etc.
• Drive the evolution of Data & Services products/platform with an impact focused on data science and engineering
• Participate in development of data and analytic infrastructure for product development
• Participate in identification and evaluation of data elements to deliver analytics for product development
• Prototype new algorithms, experiment, evaluate and deliver actionable insights.
• Continuously innovate and determine new approaches, tools, techniques & technologies to solve business problems and generate business insights & recommendations
• Partner with roles across the organization including consultants, engineering, and sales to determine the highest priority problems to solve
• Evaluate trade-offs between many possible analytics solutions to a problem, taking into account usability, technical feasibility, timelines, and differing stakeholder opinions to make a decision
• Break large solutions into smaller, releasable milestones to collect data and feedback from product managers, clients and other stakeholders
• Evangelize releases to users, incorporating feedback, and tracking usage to inform future development
• Ensure proper data governance policies are followed by implementing or validating Data Lineage, Quality checks, classification, etc.
• Work with small, cross-functional teams to define vision, establish team culture and processes
• Consistently focus on key drivers of organization value and prioritize operational activities accordingly
• Identify and act upon product improvement opportunities
• Aggregate and collate client data sets and conduct data manipulation and technical analysis leveraging industry techniques and best practices to identify trends and draw insights
• Clean and structure data sets fed to downstream analytics
• Escalate technical errors or bugs detected in project work
• Maintain awareness of relevant technical and product trends through self-learning/study, training classes and job shadowing.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications:
• Superior academic record at a leading national university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Technology related field or equivalent work experience
• At least 12 years of experience as data engineer and with open-source tools
• At least 7 years of experience in managing people/teams
• Prior experience in working in product development/management role
• In depth technical knowledge, drive and ability to learn new technologies
• Outstanding communication skills (both verbal and written) and organizational skills
• Strong project management skills
• Strong hands-on experience in Analytics & Computer Science
• Demonstrated basic knowledge of statistical analytical techniques, coding, and data engineering
• Experience leveraging open-source tools, predictive analytics, machine learning, advanced statistics, and other data techniques to perform basic analyses
• High proficiency in using Python/Scala, Spark, Hadoop platforms and tools (Hive, Impala, Airflow, NiFi, Scoop), and SQL to build Big Data products & platforms
• Experience in building and deploying production level data driven applications and data processing workflows/pipelines and/or implementing machine learning systems at scale in Java, Scala, or Python and deliver analytics involving all phases like data ingestion, feature engineering, modeling, tuning, evaluating, monitoring, and presenting
• Curiosity, creativity, and excitement for technology and innovation
• Demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving abilities
• Ability to multi-task and strong attention to detail
• Motivation, flexibility, self-direction, and desire to thrive on small project teams
The following skills will be considered as a plus
• Financial Institution or a Payments experience a plus
• Experience in developing integrated cloud applications with services like Azure. Databricks, Amazon or GCP
• Experience of managing/working in Agile teams
• Experience developing and configuring dashboards
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-142485