MasterCard Vice President, Corporate Development and M&A - Europe in London, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion at https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Vice President, Corporate Development and M&A - Europe
Overview: This role is responsible for developing, articulating and implementing MasterCard’s minority investment and M&A initiatives in Europe to further the Company’s strategy. It requires a big picture thinker able to fully connect with the payment industry environment and also see lateral opportunities across geographies and industries. The candidate should be able to understand and synthesize market and industry insight, identify competitive trends and partnership opportunities.
The role is also critical in fostering the cross functional coordination to support successful related investment and acquisition execution. It requires navigating across MasterCard to gather key pieces of information cross functionally and promote potential strategic investment opportunities.
• Generate Europe-Based Investment Rationales: Partner with Europe’s Market Development team the Regional product, market and corporate executives to assess which of their growth strategies are potentially better executed via strategic investments and/or acquisitions. The output of this work is geographic / product strategy matrix, investment target profiles, capability heat maps on needs which outline existing organic capabilities and shortcomings.
• Global Product Support: Partner with global product leadership team(s) on their inorganic growth strategies in focus areas that may include global ACH/account-to-account business, Processing Business and Payments Gateway business.
• Market Engagement: Develop and maintain active engagement with relevant market players across the region among PE / VC investors, investment banks and other sources to ensure full market visibility. This includes not reading about potentially relevant transactions but to the extent possible, having an option to consider any potentially relevant transaction in the market.
• Investment Profile Development & Execution: Converting inorganic growth objectives into optimal target investment profiles, source and screen investment candidates against those profiles and prioritize related deal execution.
• Investment Business Case Building: Structure and articulate end-to-end analysis (strategic and financial) of prioritized target investments. Apply consulting-type frameworks and tools to develop robust and concise analysis and recommendations.
• Cross Functional Coordination: This role requires the candidate to have meaningful experience working in complex, matrixed organizations and be culturally sensitive.
• Product Expertise: Requires individual to have a deep understanding and experience in retail payments, ACH payments and the services that support payments including loyalty and payments security. Further, the individual must exhibit a capability to develop deep understanding of Mastercard products and solutions and geographic markets to advance the identification of relevant and impactful investment or acquisition opportunities.
• Cross Team Transaction Execution: Based on the nature of the specific investment or acquisition, lead or support the related deal execution stages including due diligence, final approvals and definitive documentation.
All About You:
• Relevant industry knowledge and appetite/curiosity for exploration and constant update on market and industry trends and their impact on MasterCard’s business model
• Demonstrated success in Strategy and Corporate Development leadership roles
• Consulting/payments industries preferred - knowledge of MasterCard products and particularly familiarity with ACH-related payments markets and services a strong plus; Investment Banking experience in Payments considered
• Bachelor’s degree and MBA required; Pedigree from top schools strongly preferred.
• Previous experience in a global/international role and working across geogrpahies; strong multi-cultural sensibility required
• Strong relationship management and negotiation skills and the ability to influence across MasterCard
• Strong Project Management skills - able to understand and coordinate complex organizational processes and consolidate input from multiple stakeholders
• Highly motivated / Strong work ethic – Proven commitment to adapt and champion time sensitive/mission critical processes operating in a global and matrix-type organization
• Fast learner and able to link diverse sources of information to our business including ability to handle confidential information and materials with appropriate discretion
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills - ability to communicate findings in a compelling manner to internal and external audiences which include senior level executives
• Ability to link data analysis with business implications
• Previous experience in developing Board level materials desirable
• Sound judgment to act autonomously and identify emerging issues and escalate them as required
• Ability to travel internationally as much as 30-50% of the time
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-113476