MasterCard Vice President, Communications in London, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Vice President, Communications
The Vice President of Communications is responsible for executing the UK and Ireland communication strategy and plan as part of Mastercard’s UK & I division, and co-ordination of communications with Mastercard global business lines in the UK and Ireland.
Leads the UKI Communications team across media relations, employee engagement, issues management and earned consumer sponsorship activation.
• Oversees implementation of strategies related to media, employee engagement, regulatory communications and earned sponsorship activation for Mastercard in the UK and Ireland
• Stakeholder engagement and Management of executives based in the UK and Ireland, with a focus and responsibility for issues management. Key communications stakeholder is UK&I Division President.
• Management and budgetary control of retained and project led agency relationships
• Communications lead and coordination with consumer marketing team across Mastercard’s significant portfolio of UK based Sponsorship assets. BRITs, UEFA Champions League, British Open Golf.
• Coordinates communications for all Mastercard’s business lines in the UK and Ireland with global and region communications colleagues, including employee engagement for those business lines with significant employee headcount based in the UK. Such as Vocalink, Mastercard Payment Gateway Services, Mastercard Prepaid Management Services.
• Lead a team to oversee the daily operations and management of the UKs news flow and digital interactions e.g., digital, social and traditional
• Oversees production of communications materials e.g., press releases, backgrounders, FAQs, key message documents, videos, competitive landscape, environmental context, by-liners, op-eds, speeches, and intranet stories.
• Oversees the implementation of all employee engagement and UKI management team messaging e.g., video, blogs, and physical/virtual/hybrid Town Halls
• Plans and implements media and digital activation plans in support of planned product/service launches and corporate announcements
• Ability to serve as official corporate spokesperson or coach designated spokespersons managing all strategic relationships with national, local media outlets
• Identifies and secures speaking opportunities, interviews, briefings that position Mastercard as industry leaders
• Builds excellent working relationships with key stakeholders e.g., communication departments of banks, merchants, trade bodies, media partners, community leaders and government depts
• Manage relationships, negotiate contracts and facilitate service level agreements for all strategic alliances with communications-related vendors, spokespersons and agencies
• Aligns on a weekly based with UKI Integrated Marketing and Communications leadership team on key activities in market or business area to communications teams.
• Participates and represents Communications at monthly UKI Vice President divisional meetings.
• Deep experience and clear evidence of issues management, across: regulation, competition, litigation, and crisis.
• Strong track record and achievements in developing and delivering creative communications programmes aligned to corporate objectives
• Strong experience of media relations communications, employee communications, internal stakeholder management, event management, social media, with clear evidence of success
• Clear evidence of excellent budgetary, planning and organization skills
• Excellent media contacts within the United Kingdom, and preferably Ireland.
• Evidence of leading on complex cross-functional projects, domestically and cross-border
• Developed understanding of global best practices, both in own function and in the broader organization, through experience working in a matrixed or global organization
• Self-starter capable of excellent media management, with track record for foresight and consultancy to the business.
• Evidence of creative thinking with superb attention to detail and ability to drive agency relationships and hold them to account
• Experience of sponsorship activation, event planning, logistics and marketing and communications agency liaison and management
• Excellent written skills with the ability to produce simple and creative material to a publishable standard, including articles and input to speeches
• Flexible and adaptable with strong problem-solving skills and willingness to travel in the short term
Experienced in leading a team and working in a matrix structure with multiple stakeholders
Good working knowledge of the financial services landscape in the UK
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Requisition ID: R-184017