MasterCard Senior Managing Counsel, Digital Payments Europe in London, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Managing Counsel, Digital Payments Europe
Mastercard is a technology company in the financial services industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, digital wallet providers, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories.
As commerce evolves to a world beyond plastic, Mastercard’s Digital Solutions legal team provides best-in-class legal counsel to support the ideation, development, customization testing and commercialization of digital products and solutions that meet the diverse needs of Mastercard customers and cardholders. We are business relationship managers, who partner with our clients to help shape and execute against our strategy, working cross-functionally across a global organization. We demonstrate personal accountability to help lead the business forward through hands-on engagement, partnership and strategic value creation.
The ideal candidate is a technology and commerce-minded attorney with product development experience who can manage day-to-day legal support for dynamic technologists. The candidate must demonstrate sound business and legal judgement, thrive in a fast-paced environment, with a diverse workload, and have a proven track record of providing pragmatic and proactive legal advice. The candidate must be able to combine tactical legal support with strategic advice to members of the European Senior Management Team and the European Digital management team.
The Senior Managing Counsel for Digital Solutions will be based in either London, UK or Waterloo, Belgium. It will cover the 55 jurisdictions of the Mastercard Europe region.
You will report to the Europe General Counsel with a dual line into the Global Digital Solutions legal team. You will be a member of the Law, Franchise and Integrity management team as well as the Global Digital Solutions legal team. You will support both the Digital Solutions team and the Digital Partnerships group in Europe. You will also act as a point of contact for the Europe Product and Innovation lead.
• Manage tactical and strategic legal support related to products and solutions to drive convergence of physical and digital payments and advance Mastercard’s corporate objectives, including MDES and other tokenization-based solutions, as well as “push” payments within Mastercard Europe.
• Act as the first point of contact for European legal support of the development and evolution of relationships with major digital merchants and other partners.
• Partner with technology, sales, franchise, cybersecurity and intelligence and others to shape and launch innovative products and solutions in the European market that differentiate Mastercard and meet our customers’ and cardholders’ rapidly changing needs
• Engage European management and assist clients in managing and mitigating legal and commercial risks
• Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts (including complex technology agreements, and customer and vendor agreements) to drive issuer enablement, merchant acceptance and consumer adoption of product solutions, often in partnership with digital technology companies, global telecommunications companies, innovative payments startups, merchants, government and financial institutions
• Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of applicable laws and government regulations affecting the operation and product development of Mastercard’s business.
• Inform policy and regulatory positions related to Mastercard’s products and innovation with relevant internal and external stakeholders.
All About You
• Law degree from a top-tier university
• Experience in product development
• Professional experience in general commercial legal matters in a reputable international law firm and/or as in-house lawyer for a multinational company, preferably in the financial services, banking or technology sector
• A self-starter able to work independently, but also to collaborate and build cross-functional relationships.
• Must have a strategic mindset and be able to effectively discuss with and advise management regarding complex legal matters and challenging situations
• Should have a positive “can-do” attitude, be stress-resistant and ready to go the extra mile, and be willing to take initiative.
• Should be team player who is both organizationally savvy and a strong communicator
• Must be thorough, meticulous and detail-oriented, but nevertheless able to prioritize and focus on the most important matters rather than just the urgent ones
• Should exercise good commercial judgement, be solutions-oriented and have a creative approach to problem-solving
• Must be comfortable with technology and have an interest in financial technology and information security issues.
• Must have experience demonstrating knowledge of, and ability to navigate issues that touch on, multiple areas of law, such as technology, privacy, security, commercial/transactional, regulatory, and competition law
• Be able to think outside the box, and thrive in an environment where we expect the unexpected
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-138069