MasterCard Senior Counsel in London, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Mastercard’s Financial Crimes Solutions and New Payments Platforms divisions are driving innovation and growth to meet today’s demands for simple, certain, and secure electronic payments.
Mastercard Financial Crimes Solutions is a portfolio of integrated assets and capabilities designed to provide our clients with a unique insight into account behaviors for the purpose of preventing fraud. With Mastercard’s expanding global footprint in the account to account payments market our Financial Crimes Solutions products are becoming an increasingly important consideration for our clients as they continue to focus heavily on cyber and security.
Mastercard’s New Payments Platforms (NPP) division is driving innovation and growth to meet today’s demands for simple, certain, fast, and secure domestic and international account to account payments and related services. The NPP division is responsible for the delivery of the payments infrastructure that underpins many of the G20 economies as well as a suite of payment applications services, including bill payment, funds disbursement, global remittances, and gateway services. NPP is building a portfolio of integrated assets and capabilities designed to service key verticals and multiple payment experiences. Through a single connection, we provide to our partners the ability to reach a variety of endpoints—account, card, mobile wallet, or cash payout—nearly anywhere in the world.
We are now seeking an experienced lawyer to join our team to help support our Financial Crimes Solutions and New Payment Platforms division.
The role requires strong commercial knowledge and experience in the financial or payment services space. The role will act as an advisor for Product and Sales clients and will partner with business specialists to deliver on commercial objectives and strategy. Day-to-day work will include contract drafting and negotiation, regulatory and compliance assessments, and risk analysis.
This full-time role will have dual reporting into the Senior Managing Counsel in the New Payment Platforms legal team based in London and Senior Managing Counsel in the Cyber & Intelligence team based in New York. The key responsibilities for the role include:
• Autonomously structuring, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide range of contracts, including complex customer and technology agreements.
• Collaborating with in-house and external specialists (including Regulatory, Compliance, Data Privacy, and Intellectual Property) to identify relevant issues, help the business effectively navigate legal risks, and implement appropriate controls.
• Training and educating clients on processes, risks, and the current legal landscape.
• Ensuring products and services comply with Mastercard’s corporate policies, such as anti-bribery and anti-corruption and third party onboarding.
• Identifying needed process improvements and efficiencies; owning and executing solutions to support our transformation strategy. Streamlining processes to increase ease of doing business.
• Taking responsibility for special projects while continuing to handle a steady stream of day-to-day matters.
• Managing external counsel within budget.
Please note that roles within Mastercard evolve with the needs of the business and therefore, the above is a guideline and should not be treated as exhaustive.
All About You
• Qualified lawyer with extensive experience, preferably including both law firm and in-house work experience. Familiarity with laws and regulations in the banking and payments space will be considered favorably.
• Able to work independently as well as collaboratively, spot issues, prioritize, and multi-task effectively in a fast-paced environment.
• Keen business insight and strong communication skills to interact confidently and effectively with internal clients, Mastercard customers, and colleagues.
• Strong drafting and negotiating skills with the ability to understand and simplify complex concepts, issues, technologies, and deal structures.
• Solutions-orientated and able to work flexibly, under pressure, and with tight deadlines.
This role is based in London, UK. As the team supports the business globally, the role will require some international travel and ability to support other time zones.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-138153