MasterCard Senior Counsel, Global Open Banking (FTC) in London, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Counsel, Global Open Banking (FTC)
Senior Counsel, Global Open Banking Product Legal, Fixed Term Contract
Who is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
Leveraging Mastercard’s global payments network, our account-to-account business provides domestic and cross-border solutions to enable the frictionless future of payments. We help our customers leverage rich messaging functionality and applications to capture business and consumer payment flows both domestically and cross-border; offer solutions to connect, enable, and safeguard the Open Banking ecosystem, and protect banks and their customers from financial crime. All this is supported by account-based data insights and consulting to help our clients optimise their payment strategies across the world.
The Open Banking legal team is looking for an experienced commercial lawyer to provide legal support and advice to the Open Banking global product team, with a particular focus on international development of open banking products and solutions. This role requires strong commercial knowledge and experience in the technology and financial/payment services space. The ideal candidate is highly motivated, intellectually curious and analytical, dedicated to delivering strategic and hands-on legal support and partnership to develop the next generation of Mastercard product solutions focused on enabling the future of payments.
This is a fixed term role (maternity cover) for an initial period of 6 months. We are a growing team and there may be potential to extend duration by mutual consent.
As Senior Counsel, you will be a member of the Law & Policy team supporting Mastercard’s Consumer Solutions businesses. You will take a major role in handling commercial and product development and support matters for the business on a day-to-day basis, identifying and analysing relevant issues and helping the business effectively navigate legal risks and implement appropriate controls, policies and processes. You will:
• Focus on legal support for the strategic development and daily operations of Mastercard’s global Open Banking products and services, reporting into the Senior Counsel who is responsible for leading this legal support.
• Develop strong relationships with product development, business, sales and senior management within Mastercard’s Open Banking business
• Advise from the creation through development to the launch stage and beyond of various Open Banking solutions and services, covering a broad range of commercial and contractual matters, including product and marketing legal review, non-disclosure agreements and bid process support
• Draft and review contracts and manage complex contract negotiations with customers, partners and key suppliers
• Ensure alignment and compliance of Open Banking products and services with Mastercard’s policies, procedures and processes and with European and global regulatory and commercial laws
• Work in close collaboration with external and internal specialists (including Franchise and regulatory, data privacy and intellectual property counsel)
• Provide training as appropriate to legal, franchise, sales and product colleagues
• Instruct and manage external counsel within agreed policy and budget
Please note that roles within Mastercard evolve with the needs of the business and department. Therefore, the above is a guideline and by no means comprehensive.
This role is based in London, UK. As our team supports the business globally, the role may require some travel and ability to support other time zones.
All About You
• A qualified lawyer with a solid academic and training background
• An interest in the financial services industry and both existing and emerging payment technologies
• Exposure to a broad range of commercial and technology law issues.
• Experience across a range of commercial contracts and the ability to analyze and identify the core legal issues, skilled at explaining technical problems succinctly and clearly.
• A working knowledge of data privacy and intellectual property issues.
• A fast learner who can gain rapid familiarity with complex products, services and legal frameworks and maintain knowledge of those changing products, services and legal frameworks.
• Solutions orientated with excellent time management, planning and organizational skills
• Able to work flexibly under pressure and with tight deadlines.
• Strong drafting, writing, oral communication and negotiating skills, able to communicate your vision and roadmap effectively to a wide variety of stakeholders
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering. Must work well in both team and individual settings
• Strong business acumen
• Previous experience working as in-house lawyer, preferably at a multinational company, desirable but not essential.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-132870