MasterCard Principle DevOps Engineer in London, United Kingdom
Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless at https://www.priceless.com/ ®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Principle DevOps Engineer
About the role
MasterCard is in the process of transforming to an Agile culture which is bringing about a reorganisation of the technical engineering teams. In concert, we are building upon our industry leading knowledge to develop our Real Time Platforms.
The DevOps Engineer is responsible for working within a product focussed Engineering Group. You will be focussed on:
• Guiding the DevOps Guild to ensure consistency of approach and knowledge share across products
• Enabling product teams to move fast into production
• Integrating network, infrastructure and operations concepts to deliver our products
• Writing exemplary, well tested code as and when necessary
• Customer focussed delivery
You are a DevOps expert skilled in the cultural and technical principles & practices of the DevOps movement with experience of implementing DevOps approach and associated tools within an organisation. You have a desire to continually improve your own skills and the ability to transfer those skills to others and, of course, you love seeing your software in production.
Together, you will be part of a team who will plan and shape the route DevOps takes within the organisation
• Takes a lead position in complex initiatives of strategic importance (e.g., cross-functional, multi-geographical)
• Drives assigned projects, which includes responsibility for planning, time control, resource utilization and implementation
• Works with cross-functional groups to design overall infrastructure automation strategies and roadmaps
• Applies advanced technical capabilities within own discipline to coach and develop technical talent and project teams
• Provides input into performance appraisal process for several junior employees or team members
• Designs automation for full infrastructure deployment including integration with connected devices
• Assesses the business implications of technology alternatives for wide-impact initiatives, and recommends appropriate strategic action
• Enable product teams through implementation of deployment pipelines and deployment strategy from dev to production in a cloud based environment, on premise and hybrid.
• Leads and manages complex initiatives and projects; defines workflows and timeframes to support specifications and guidelines
• Performs technical analysis of complex software, hardware, and transmission facility using various diagnostic tools
• Applies technical capabilities within own discipline to coach and develop junior employees
• Provides input into performance appraisal process for some junior employees or team members
All about you:
• Strong experience of working within Agile frameworks – Scrum and Kanban
• Strong experience in a cloud based environment, e.g. one of AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
• Strong experience of Infrastructure As Code automation in a container based environment
• Strong experience using a container schedule and orchestration framework such as Kubernetes, Mesos etc.
• Ability to design build and implement a CI server – such as Jenkins, Maven/Gradle
• Drive issue resolution and root cause identification
• Able to orchestrate the build and deployment of a container environment including zero downtime and blue/green deployments – using tools such as Ansible/Chief/Puppet
• Able to design and implement centralised monitoring solutions including logging, monitoring, alerting.
• Experience with complex software, hardware, and transmission facility using various diagnostic tools
• Demonstrated extensive experience in several highly specialized phases of Platform Services
• Experience with various private, public and hybrid platforms, continuous integration or delivery as a service, DevOps and distributed computing
• Experience supporting cross-functional leadership to ensure project objectives and deadlines are met
• Extensive IT experience across the full SDLC
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to listen, present and communicate solutions clearly and concisely with technical and non-technical audiences
• Strong problem solving skills
• Understanding of solution trade-offs such as cost, scope, timescale, and balance between long-term strategic and short-term pragmatic considerations
• Ability to work at a professional level with little management direction and leadership
• Strong hands on knowledge of Unix / Linux
• Strong experience scripting solutions in Python
• Strong knowledge of the Infrastructure As Code tool
• Strong knowledge of the build tool Maven
• Strong knowledge of at least one RDBMS, e.g. Oracle / MySql / PostgreSQL
• Ability to build a network in AWS or Azure
• Experienced with administering Docker containers
• Experienced with administering a container orchestrator and scheduler, e.g. one of Kuberenetes, Rancher, Mesos, Swarm
• Experienced in Configuration Management using Ansible
• Expert in deploying packages using rpm/yum
• Working knowledge of the Atlassian Suite – Crowd, BitBucket, Jira, Confluence, HipChat
• Working knowledge of Ancillary pipeline tools Nexus, Sonatype, CheckStyle
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Requisition ID: R-92195