MasterCard Manager, Europe Controllers Group in London, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Manager, Europe Controllers Group
• The jobholder will be part of the Controller’s group within MasterCard Europe’s Finance division. The role will mainly be responsible for Rebates & Incentives, Pricing & Billing Operations in Europe. This position will report to the Director, Controller and will have one direct report.
• The role oversees the timely and correct accounting treatment of all customer business agreements in terms of revenue recognition and contra-revenue (rebates and incentives) in partnership with the GBSC (Shared Services center), ensuring compliance with current applicable Mastercard policies and internal controls as well as US GAAP.
• The jobholder will be involved in implementation of new pricing in the Billing System and will be considered a subject matter specialist on all matters related to billing and pricing for the Europe Region.
• The role will partner with the business in the drafting of customer business agreements and play an advisory role to the account teams.
• The jobholder will be a key element in both the financial and commercial process and will work closely together with different departments within the organization (FP&A, Business Development Finance, Legal, Account Managers & Regional Finance).
• The jobholder will ensure accurate and timely reporting to different stakeholders within the organization (mainly Corporate Controllers Group in NY).
• Responsible for overseeing the quality of the full accounting process for rebates and incentives (R&I or contra-revenue) ensuring timely and accurate accounting treatment for the countries under scope. (Note the operational accounting process is carried out by the GBSC.)
• Provide complex accounting advice and guidance: discuss, challenge and validate various accounting treatments, and communicate them effectively to ensure proper understanding and application by Regional Finance teams and other regional stakeholders.
• Participate in the contract drafting process as a reviewer to ensure that contract verbiage in customer business agreements enables proper accounting treatment in line with the applicable Mastercard policies and US GAAP as well as provides clear interpretation of the financial clauses in the contract.
• Perform various oversight controls for the R&I accounting processs including review of monthly balance sheet reconciliation, quarterly reporting deliverables for Corporate and deal performance monitoring in the region. Ensure internal and external audit compliance as well as ensure SOX compliance and process documentation for all key control activities.
• Perform regional billing and pricing operations activities including:
o Review of pricing proposals to ensure accuracy and completeness
o Taking part in pricing implementations in Mastercard systems
o Training for customers on our core pricing and supporting pricing discussions with customers
o Participating on cross-functional teams for any European billing related projects
o Liaising with GBSC Billing Services to automate manual billing processes
o Maintaining Process and Controls documentation around the billing/pricing process for SOX
• Provide ad hoc reporting and drive efficiency improvements to existing processes.
All About You
• University degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
• Minimum 5 years of experience in Finance/Controlling/Audit
• Accountancy certification preferred (CPA, Chartered Accountant)
• US GAAP experience preferred, IFRS also helpful
• Technical Accounting experience, ability to evaluate revenue contracts from a technical accounting perspective.
• Ability to work through ambiguous concepts and issues to bring clarity to the stakeholders.
• Excellent communication and organizational skills, high sense of initiative and urgency
• Enjoy learning and mastering the intricate details of new systems (i.e. Mastercard Billing System and Contra-revenue system)
• English fluency
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-146266