MasterCard Director of Competitor Analysis and Benchmarking in London, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director of Competitor Analysis and Benchmarking
The Customer & Proposition Management team are responsible for building an effective understanding of target segments, their buying behaviour and support the creation of compelling product messaging to strengthen the sales of prioritised Applications.
The Director of Competitor Analysis and Benchmarking will be responsible for the development and delivery of a strategy for analysis & benchmarking. They will work with the Market Enablement team, Global Product Teams, Regional Sales Teams (IMK & NAM) and with the P&E Strategy Team where appropriate.
The role will identify and evaluate competitors’ strategies and document their strengths and weaknesses relative to our Applications products (currently Cross Border, Bill Payment and Send). This knowledge and understanding will identify our competitive advantages and highlight areas for improvement in our capabilities, commercial and economic models, go to market processes and sales execution. The analysis will be ongoing and reported to our key stakeholders in the Applications business unit and sales organisations.
This is a critical function within the Applications Business Unit, keeping a pulse of what is happening in our key markets helping to understand and embed knowledge of our competitors and the consumers they serve in order to position our Application solutions in the right way. You will be working as part of team responsible for driving global revenues and directly contributing towards financial goals.
The core requirements of the role are to:
• Develop a strategy for the analysis and benchmarking of our competition in markets for our Cross Border, Bill Payment and Send propositions.
• Execute the strategy through researching and understanding competitors and sharing trends and analysis to stakeholders
• Conduct SWOT analysis (or similar) on competitors at Global, Regional and Market level
• Compile research from multiple sources and derives key insights using quantitative, qualitative and secondary sources
• Build & own a repository of competitors their capabilities, key customers, markets and sales strategies
• Development of training materials on competitors to support education of sales teams (in conjunction with Upskilling & Capabilities team)
• Support Commercial and product strategies, specifically in relation to understanding different market dynamics i.e. reducing risk, market opportunity, competitor landscape
• Provide insights into business cases developed for potential customers
• Establishing key processes and ways of working, as well as creating and managing strong networks across the business, to ensure success
• Align competitor insights to Mastercard customer segments and Customer Solutions Centres
• Uncover opportunities for product enhancement based on competitor capabilities and trends
In addition, the role requires an understand the following for each Application:
• Market positioning & proposition
• Commercial model
• Customer engagement model
• Target audience and market stakeholders
• User audience (end user in B2B2B / B2B2C)
• Implementation deployment, onboarding, and operational models & what simplifies or adds complexity
• Regulatory implications (high level)
• Strong background in performing quantitative and qualitative research and analysis and can demonstrate proficiency in using data and information to develop insights and conclusions
• Has developed a strategy for understanding competitors and markets, and created actionable insights
• Track record of providing market and competitive analysis in a product or sales environment which utilised local teams along with global sales support functions.
• Is outcome focussed rather than data focussed and experienced in analysing information to generate insights leading to improved sales engagements
• Can demonstrate credible knowledge & authority in market data analysis with the ability to present findings to senior stakeholders
• Is self-directed and has managed multiple priorities alongside responding to ad-hoc requests from stakeholders and end users
• Proven experience of internal stakeholder management, communications, and relationship building with senior audiences
Skills & Capabilities
• Deep understanding of payments and payment related services
• Solid analytical skills with the ability to produce actionable insights and recommendations from information gathered
• Ability to work independently but also build and maintain strong working relationships with Product and Regional Sales organisations
• Autonomous self-starter, who is actively collaborative and competent leading by Influence, and enjoys exploring new opportunities without rigid framework or direct supervision
• Capable of providing insights to develop thought leadership at a market level
• Ability to break down silos and build cross-functional, collaborative relationships & business practices
• Comfortable managing market demands & prioritisation conflicts with different teams
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Requisition ID: R-184255