MasterCard Manager, Customer Risk Management, EMEA in Lagos, Nigeria
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Manager, Customer Risk Management, EMEA
Who is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
The Treasury team is looking for a Risk Manager, based in Lagos, to manage its credit risk primarily across the MEA region, with possible support to the European region.
The primary responsibility of the Risk Manager is to ensure customer risk is appropriately identified, monitored and managed in accordance with Mastercard’s policies & procedures, and risk appetite framework. The role also involves partnering with our Corporate Treasury and Settlement Operations teams to assist in the growth of Mastercard’s settlement footprint throughout the region. In addition, the incumbent of the role will work as needed with the Regulatory Affairs team in engaging with central banks and other regulators within the region.
• Act as the point of contact for CRM related matters pertaining to countries assigned.
• Prepare underwriting proposals, carry out detailed analysis of new and existing Financial Institutions and Non Banking customers of Mastercard across the EMEA region, present them effectively to senior management as and when required;
• Responsible for monitoring settlement failures and ensure any failures are actioned in a timely manner;
• Negotiate collateral and/or other risk mitigants with both account managers and customers.
• Provide technical and analytical support for process improvement initiatives, including identification of best practices and ensuring successful implementation;
• Contribute to external/internal CRM reporting (SEC filing, audit committee, ad hoc requests);
• Partnering with other risk managers to ensure 24x7 global customer risk exposure monitoring, participating in decision making process when critical action needs to be taken;
• Enable and train first line of defense on customer risk management procedures and processes;
• Coordinating application process of new customers to ensure timely customer onboarding as well as review of DDM (defered delivery merchant) consent applications.
All About You
• Postgraduate degree in business, economics, econometrics (or equivalent) and 5 years of experience in credit risk assessment and financial statements analysis OR Graduate with at least 10 years of experience in credit risk assessment and financial statements analysis;
• Knowledge of Nigerian banking sector and the payment regulation landscape are a strong plus;
• Risk mindset: ability to think outside the box and identify potential sources of risk;
• Problem solving: ability to develop innovative solutions to manage/ address credit risk;
• Strong negotiation and influencing skills, including at the very senior management levels;
• Crisis management: ability to work through a crisis, make tough recommendations with imperfect information;
• Positive attitude, strong work-ethic and good sense of humor;
• Outstanding written and verbal English communication skills; French and/or Arabic is a plus;
• Advanced Excel and PowerPoint user;
• Prior experience in advanced analytics is a plus, including programming languages (R, Phyton, SQL)
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-122401