MasterCard Software Engineering Director in Harrogate, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion at https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Software Engineering Director
About the role
Vocalink is in the process of transforming to an Agile culture which is bringing about a reorganisation of the technical delivery teams into a flat structure. This require a Director of Software Engineering to own the technical delivery of the Product platform(s) within Vocalink Core Services.
The Director of Software Engineering is responsible for facilitating the delivery path for the development team members that make up the agile teams. This person would be focused on:
• Delivering on commitments of time, quality and budget
• Drive the smooth flow of work through the teams to allow consistent, predictable and fast delivery of work to the customer
• Ensure the delivery team has what they need to do their jobs
• Line management of the scrum masters, developers and test resources
At Vocalink we deliver products and services that are a critical part of the national payments infrastructure and we can only do this because of our people. The Director of Software Engineering and teams are accountable for delivering our products and services successfully in order to maintain our market leading position
• Business Change
• Support the business in the successful delivery of change, agility and continuous improvement
• Meet the business/customer requirements and be in accordance with defined quality, coding standards and architectural principles.
• Overall responsibility for the technical excellence of the Vocalink platforms deployed into Production.
• Responsible for supporting the overall Vocalink governance approach and its implementation within the application delivery teams.
• Management of departmental budget and tracking against finance reports
• To understand and adhere to the company delivery methodology and industry standards where applicable.
• To ensure the effective leadership of the Agile teams (e.g. scrum masters, architects, developers, technical testers)
• Foster a collaborative culture within the delivery teams and also the wider business, e.g. Product and Project Management
• To motivate, inspire and give clear direction to the teams to encourage a customer and commercial focus, clear lines of responsibility, excellent results and performance.
• To ensure all team members are managed in line with company policy and legislation, including performance management and appraisals, discipline and grievances and absence management.
• Ensure that the delivery team has access to the training and tooling that they require to do their jobs.
• Stakeholder Management
• Develop, manage and maintain key stakeholder relationships with the Product Management, Portfolio Management, Customer Services, and across COO and the payment schemes.
• To work across all Vocalink sites and service lines, which includes some national travel
• To carry out any other task associated with the role as reasonably requested
All about you
Experience leading delivery using an agile model
Strong management, decision making and negotiation skills
Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to listen, present and communicate complex architectures clearly and concisely with technical and non-technical audiences
Flexible and able to adapt to and manage change.
Manage cost centre within pre-agreed variances
Able to think strategically and understand and manage the impact and risk of decisions.
Professional knowledge of market segment, industry, technology, and discipline trends
Previous experience in developing high performing systems.
Technically astute at a high level (Java)
Should have an appreciation of development and test
Demonstrate an understanding of modern development practices e.g. software configuration management, continuous integration, deployment and test
Worked with or built in modern technology
Automated test at unit and acceptance test level
Delivery focused in required time frames
Delivered shippable product after every sprint
Understand end to end tool chain and how that underpins speed
Understand transition from waterfall to Agile delivery and able to bring people on the journey
Understand the relationship between empowerment accountability and outcome orientation
Working knowledge of a range of Agile models, e.g. Scrum, Kanban, Lean
Line management, objective setting, performance reviews, and performance management
Technical recruitment at all levels and disciplines
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-110466