MasterCard Senior Legal Counsel in Harrogate, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Legal Counsel
Who is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
The New Payment Platform Legal and Policy (L&P) team is looking for a Senior Counsel to drive our infrastructure business forward by consistently innovating and problem-solving.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced commercial lawyer who can support and advise the various teams which support Mastercard’s new payment platforms. This role requires strong commercial knowledge and experience in the technology/financial/payment services space. The ideal candidate is highly motivated, intellectually curious and analytical, dedicated to delivering strategic and hands-on legal support and partnership to develop the next generation of Mastercard product solutions focused on enabling the future of payments.
As a Senior Counsel, you will be a member of the L&P team supporting Mastercard’s New Payment Platform infrasture team in deploying payments infrastructures around the globe. You will take a major role in supporting bids, negotitaing and completing infrastructure deals, supporting other matters for the business on a day-to-day basis, identifying and analysing relevant issues and helping the business effectively navigate legal risks.
• Focus on legal support for the strategic development and daily operations of Mastercard’s new payment platform business, reporting into the Senior Managing Counsel who is responsible for leading this legal support
• Develop strong relationships with product, sales, delivery, procurement and O&T teams as well as other senior stakeholders within Mastercard
• Advise on a broad range of commercial and contractual matters, including managed service agreements, software licences, comercial agreements, non-disclosure agreements and bid process support
• Draft and review contracts and manage complex international contract negotiations with customers, partners and key suppliers
• Ensure alignment and compliance with Mastercard’s policies, procedures and processes and with European and global regulatory and commercial laws
• Work in close collaboration with external and internal specialists (including regulatory, data privacy and intellectual property counsel)
• Provide training as appropriate to L&P colleagues, sales and product teams
• Instruct and manage external counsel within agreed policy and budget
Please note that roles within Mastercard evolve with the needs of the business and department. Therefore, the above is a guideline and by no means comprehensive.
This role is based in London, UK. As the L&P team supports the business globally, the role may require some travel and ability to support other time zones.
All About You
• A qualified lawyer with a solid academic and training background
• An interest in technology, financial services industry including both existing and emerging payment technologies
• Exposure to a broad range of commercial and technology law issues
• Experience across a range of commercial contracts and the ability to analyze and identify the core legal issues, skilled at explaining technical problems succinctly and clearly
• A working knowledge of data privacy and intellectual property issues
• A fast learner who can gain rapid familiarity with complex products, services and legal frameworks and maintain knowledge of those changing products, services and legal frameworks
• Solutions orientated with excellent time management, planning and organizational skills
• Able to work flexibly under pressure and with tight deadlines.
• Strong drafting, writing, oral communication and negotiating skills, able to communicate your vision and roadmap effectively to a wide variety of stakeholders
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering. Must work well in both team and individual settings
• Strong business acumen
Previous experience working as in-house lawyer, preferably at a multinational company, desirable but not essential.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-131619