MasterCard Director - Government Engagement, Germany in Frankfurt, Germany
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion at https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director - Government Engagement, Germany
Who is MasterCard
What role do we play in delivering commercially sustainable social impact, in helping governments
address major societal and economic challenges? We are more than an enabler of purchases or a
facilitator for transactions. We are a technology company that understands markets and organizes
ecosystems, that creates trusted relationships and that enables those who have no access to financial
systems to be included in the networks necessary to achieve financial security. This is a company where
every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives.
• Mastercard is dedicated to promoting inclusive growth and financial inclusion. The mandate of the
Government Engagement unit at Mastercard is to build durable, trusted relationships with key
government agencies to accelerate their transition to a cashless ecosystem though digitalization, while
increasing revenues and seeding new markets for Mastercard. We drive relevance and revenues in the
government space by developing effective go to market campaigns supported by clear priorities,
success metrics and incentives. We provide expert sales support to both country managers and local
sales resources through a solid client engagement playbook approach. We guide the transition from
reactive solutions sales to strategic government engagement programs. And we ensure alignment
between local, regional demand and our global solutions.
• The Government Engagement Director in Germany focuses on aligning Mastercard’s product, service
and ecosystem capabilities to solve for the challenges government agencies face today in the areas of
financial inclusion, improved citizen services, economic development and government operational
excellence. We do this by engaging, listening and leading. Our team is comprised of industry leaders,
relationship builders and deal closers. We apply Mastercard’s digital tools, business insights, last mile
solutions and market organizing skills to support client success. We have a good idea what works. But
we also have a passion for learning, exploring new capabilities, and applying the best methodologies
and insights to the government business.
• This role is at the heart of our intent to scale our government business across the country to drive
revenue, market relevance and socio-economic impact. The position is deployed at the market level,
and focuses on a select number of priority opportunities, segments and clients, directly agreed with
the Division President and his team.
• The Government Engagement Director is accountable for:
- The support in the development of the market’s government strategy, including a list of
prioritized clients and solution opportunities, a relationships heat map, a detailed view of the
revenue & relevance opportunities and a market engagement plan (“Digital Country Plan”)
- Orchestrating Mastercard’s government engagements within the market (noncommercial, precommercial
and commercial) in close partnership with Mastercard’s Public Policy team,
engaging national, regional or local governments and associated agencies.
- Direct engagement on key sales opportunities across the market, assisting sales teams and
winning strategic deals.
Mastercard Government Engagement Director
- The alignment of global, regional and local resources to drive execution, in close coordination
with the Division President and his team, the regional Government Engagement team, and the
Mastercard Strategic Growth regional team.
- The support to the European internal government community of practice to cross-fertilize local
and regional best practices.
- This position reports directly into both the Regional Government Engagement Lead for Europe
and into an assigned Manager in the German organization
• Develop and execute the market government strategy starting from:
Understanding local, national and regional priorities.
Engaging market and division leadership to prioritize clients and solution opportunities.
Develop a solid projects pipeline, drive conversion over time (year 1 and 2) and secure
revenues (from year 3 onwards)
- Directly engage senior government stakeholders to influence strategic decisions, in close
aligmment with Public Polocy, and to develop lines of sight into new revenues
- Securing global, regional and local resources to execute on the opportunities and drive
marquee wins. Develop scalable revenue models at market level, when appropriate
Assist with the delivery of the sold projects
Support the building and curation of a local, internal community of practice. Act as first line of
support for the Division President, Public Policy and Account Teams for thought leadership and
strategic sales engagements.
All About You
• Experience working for or closely with government agencies, managing process improvement and
transformative change initiatives, as well as proven experience in engaging very senior government
leaders to build durable relations.
• Proven track in leading government projects and/or commercial deals in the German market
• Consultative selling focused, with deep product, services, and solutions expertise.
• Adept at interacting with senior Mastercard stakeholders in terms of engagement, communication
and transparency of purpose. Can skillfully lead complex government initiatives that require
collaboration across functional, geographical and cultural lines.
• Demonstrated ability to work across divisional boundaries, within the assigned market
• Self-motivated, thrives in a fast-paced environment; readiness to take-on stretch goals.
• Strong gravitas, exceptional relationship management, influencing and communication skills.
• Undergraduate degree required. MBA or graduate degree preferred.
• Fluency in both German and English is required.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-107736