MasterCard Principal Software Engineer in Dublin, Ireland
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Principal Software Engineer
Who is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
The Settlement Program provides vital systems and services to the Mastercard Treasury and Finance team in support of global payments/customer funds movement, treasury operations, liquidity, foreign exchange, risk management and capital management. We are directly responsible for moving billions of dollars each day between our customers. We are an agile development organization with teams located in both St. Louis, Missouri, Dublin, Ireland and Pune, India.
• Responsible for the analysis, design, development and delivery of software solutions
• Defines requirements for new applications and customizations, adhering to standards, processes and best practices
• Work on complex enterprise-wide initiatives spanning multiple services/programs and drives resolution
• Work with business/product owners to architect and deliver on new services to introduce new products and bundles
• Drive the architectural design, including dependent services, service interactions, and policies
• Take ownership to improve the customer experience of an entire set of services/applications sold as products or bundled services
• Contribute and lead Guild initiatives by engaging and mentoring Engineers at all levels to improve the craftmanship of Software Engineering
• Simplify and improve the cost/benefit of a function/service/architecture strategy
• Apply judgment and experience to balance trade-offs between competing interests
• Venture beyond comfort zone to take on assignments across different areas of Software Engineering
• Take on organization-wide and public speaking engagements and publishes white papers and blogs on relevant and emerging technical topics
• Consult across teams and across organization lines to identify synergies and reuse opportunities
• Participate and contribute to Principal review architecture meetings and drive resolutions to enterprise-wide challenges and regulatory needs
• Write recommendations for job promotions based on an unbiased view of one's accomplishments
• Conduct technical interviews for hiring engineering staff and raising the performance bar
• Identify and raise awareness to Silo-ed behaviors within the organization and teams
• Progressively grown career with proven design and development experiences in multiple languages, secure coding standards (e.g., OWASP, CWE, SEI CERT), and vulnerability management.
• Understands internals of operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mainframe) to write interoperable and performant code.
• Has skills to develop and evangelize on reference architecture and run principles to help teams adopt Engineering Principles from the start (poison pill, active/active/active, auto-scaling, self-healing, others)
• Understands use cases for advanced design patterns (e.g., service-to-worker, MVC, API gateway, intercepting filter, dependency injection, lazy loading, all from gang of four) to implement efficient code
• Understands and implements Application Programming Interface (API) standards and cataloging to drive API/service adoption and commercialization
• Has skills to promote and coach teams on take on full stack development and facilitate end-to-end service ownership
• Has skills to engage engineers across Technology organization to promote standard software patterns and reuse of common libraries and services
• Has experience in leading and coaching teams to perform software planning and estimation for large scale complex programs
• Has skills to drive trade-off discussions to set right development capacity based on value drivers (e.g., regulatory, security, new business, market parity, technical debt)
• Has experience in design and execution of automation across multiple business areas and provides guidance on best methods and tools.
• Has an expert understanding of DevOps best practices to guide developers and abstract application development from underlying hosting platforms and infrastructure
• Performance engineering experience to ensure applications are built to scale, run, and perform for varying demands
• Has skills to evaluate practices, metrics, and roles to continually optimize SDLC methodologies and automate processes to improve lead time and quality
• Has skills to perform architecture and cost analysis for internal, hybrid, and public cloud environments
• Has skills to succinctly articulate architecture patterns of complex systems, with business and technical implications, to executive and customer stakeholders
• Has skills to define and drive advanced chaos and other operational testing practices to test points of failures, monitors, and system behaviors under adverse conditions (e.g., resource spikes, network congestion, component or infrastructure failure)
• Has skills to implement advanced test set ups in production environment (e.g., A/B testing, canary releases, blue-green deployment, feature flags)
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-146449