MasterCard Principal Data Scientist in Dublin, Ireland
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Principal Data Scientist
Who is Mastercard?
As a global technology company our mission at Mastercard is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
Our International, Open Banking, Product Value Proposition Team is looking for a Principal Data Scientist to develop and drive forward Mastercard’s ambitious, data-driven open banking solutions, through the skillful application of data science and a highly customer centric focus. The ideal candidate is motivated, intellectually curious, technically excellent, a great communicator and someone who will enjoy helping us build out our data science team and capabilities.
As an individual contributor working within a growing data science team, you will take responsibility for developing and deploying market leading, innovative, analytical open banking solutions. Focused in the first instance on affordability/credit decisioning and identity/income verification use cases, you will help empower consumers and drive value creation across our client base.
Specifically in this position, you will:
In pursuit of highly valued, market leading, solutions and insights, apply a range of problem appropriate data science techniques to large data sets – from exploratory data analysis, visualization/ dashboards, and feature engineering to multivariate (supervised/unsupervised) model development, deployment (a particular role focus), and monitoring.
Work closely with data engineers and developers to ensure data science originated solutions are delivered to clients with the expected quality, user experience, configurability, and feedback mechanisms.
Communicate effectively with clients and stakeholders, ensuring their requirements are fully understood and met.
Conduct effective customer trials to grow our open banking impact, from supporting methodology delineation, contract terms, and data specification, to data processing/analysis and result generation/presentation.
Be highly proactive in pursuit of product excellence. For example, by investigating/proposing new deployment approaches, encouraging cross team working, managing projects to agreed schedules and looking to utilise new tools and techniques.
Help to develop, implement and honour effective, engaging team methods to support rapid prototyping, reproducibility, productivity, automation, and appropriate data governance.
Engage with the wider Mastercard data science community, sharing best practice, knowledge, and insights, in support of collaborative, fulfilling work and value creation.
All About You
To succeed in this role, you will have:
• A Master's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Data Science, Econometrics, Mathematics, Statistics, or similar field of study.
• Advanced level, multi-project, hands-on experience of the end-to-end data science process in relation to large, complex data. From problem framing to results communication, you will be able to demonstrate a range of successfully delivered projects.
• Proven, advanced level expertise in solution deployment (data science pipelines, MLOps frameworks and libraries etc.) at scale and against demanding service level agreements. To include experience of cloud based distributed data platforms such as Ezmeral/Databricks/Cloudera, model management (e.g., MLflow) and container development/management (e.g., Docker/Kubernetes).
• Professional level, workplace, Python coding experience, including a detailed knowledge of the principal Python Data Science / Machine Learning (ML) library ecosystem.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills for both technical & non-technical audiences.
To succeed in this role, you will be:
• A highly engaged individual, evidenced through specific examples of collaboration, effective teamwork, successful independent work, and continued professional development.
Additionally, the ideal candidate can demonstrate:
• Real world experience of API development and deployment.
• Knowledge and experience across a range of data platform technologies/tools, from RDBMS (e.g., SQL Server, PostgreSQL) to Data Fabrics.
• A good working knowledge of Natural Language Processing (NLP), especially in relation to topic modelling and named entity recognition.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-174860