MasterCard Director, Environmental Sustainability in Chicago, Illinois
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director, Environmental Sustainability
This position will work within Mastercard’s climate strategy team to guide and lead all established environmental sustainability programs and develop new ones to ensure achievement of their Net Zero goal. The successful candidate must demonstrate subject matter expertise across a broad array of environmental sustainability disciplines, including science-based targets, greenhouse gas reduction, sustainable supply chain, energy management, renewable energy, and green buildings. This position reports to the Vice President, Climate Strategy, and will oversee a passion driven team aligned to implement best practices to achieve Mastercard’s Net Zero 2040 goal.
• Serve as Mastercard’s Subject Matter Expert on all aspects of environmental sustainability.
• Own climate related reduction strategies and reporting requirements for environmental sustainability goals
• Oversee data collection and trending patterns specific to science-based targets and overall net zero goal
• Ensure all required environmental reporting is completed annually and in compliance with various requirements
• Responsible for overseeing, advising, and managing the following teams: Sustainable Real Estate, Energy Management and Environmentally Sustainable Supply Chain
• Ensure integration and collaboration among finance, controllership, procurement, operations and technology real estate, travel and across other relevant business units.
• Initiate programs and policies consistent with Mastercard's strategic business initiatives to reduce their global environmental footprint
• Provide guidance to ensure that environmental sustainability in integrated into strategic business initiatives and compliance requirements.
• Ensure oversight of requisite service providers to quantify and ensure the integrity of environmental reporting. These metrics include, but are not limited to, Scope 1, 2, and 3 GHG emissions, waste, electricity, gas and water consumption, and region-specific building certification programs.
• Provide leadership, mentorship, and guidance to both direct team and others within the organization
• Serve as an internal thought leader on relevant trends and technologies.
All About You:
• Demonstrated understanding of environmental sustainability as a core discipline, its influence on the built environment and planet, and relevant reporting programs/certifications to provide best in class implementation strategies.
• Strong working knowledge of supply chain and real estate service lines and their subsequent climate impacts.
• Experience successfully interacting with diverse cultures and individuals.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, environmental science, or a related field; Master’s degree highly preferred.
• Strong management and communication skills with the ability to build, cultivate, and motivate a team in a fast-paced environment.
• Team player with excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
• Experience managing a wide range of internal and external stakeholders with experience presenting to all levels of management.
• Excellent data management skills.
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-172099