MasterCard Vice President, Business Development for Government Engagement in Beijing, China
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Vice President, Business Development for Government Engagement
Mastercard is dedicated to promoting inclusive growth and financial inclusion. The mandate of the Government Engagement team is to build durable, trusted relationships with key government agencies to accelerate their transition to a cashless ecosystem though digitalization, while increasing revenues and seeding new markets for Mastercard. We drive relevance and revenues in the government space by developing effective regional go to market campaigns supported by clear priorities, success metrics and incentives. Our team is made of deep experts in both government and Mastercard solutions, of thought leaders and of deal closers. We apply our digital tools, business insights, last mile solutions and market organizing skills to support client success. We have a good idea of what works. But we also have a passion for learning, exploring new capabilities, and applying the best methodologies and insights to the government business.
The Vice President, Government Engagement role focuses on aligning Mastercard’s product, service and ecosystem capabilities to solve for the challenges that government and associated organizations face today in the areas of financial inclusion, citizen services, economic development and sustainability as well as government operational excellence. This role builds relevance and generates revenue in the Government and public sector segment for the Mastercard in China by strengthening strategic partnerships, winning project mandates and driving sales of digital platforms and solutions, deepening relationships with governments and associated organizations. This role also ensures that the Division’s strategies, goals and priorities are in alignment with the Global and Regional Government Engagement function for this segment.
This role is at the heart of our intent to scale our business across all key markets and regions to drive revenue, market relevance and social impact. This role will have dual reporting to the Division President of China and the Asia Pacific Government Engagement Lead. The position will be based in Beijing and focuses on a select number of priority opportunities, segments and clients, directly agreed with the Regional Government Engagement Lead and Division President.
The Vice President, Government Engagement is accountable for:
• Driving the development of the division’s government strategy, including a list
of prioritized client and solution opportunities, a relationship heat map, and detailed view of
the revenue opportunity and a market engagement plan
• Leading and orchestrating Mastercard’s government engagements within the Division (noncommercial, pre-commercial and commercial), engaging national, regional or local governments and associated agencies.
• Support the Regional Government Engagement team in the development, alignment and execution of strategic initiatives, business development agenda, sales effectiveness programs and thought leadership development.
• Develop and execute the market government strategy in alignment with Regional Government Engagement and China teams, including
o Understanding local, national and regional priorities.
o Engaging market and/or division leadership to prioritize clients and solution opportunities.
o Develop a solid projects pipeline, drive conversion over time and secure
o Directly engage senior government stakeholders to influence strategic decisions (building relevance) and to develop lines of sight into new revenues
o Securing global, regional and local resources to execute on the opportunities and drive marquee wins.
o Develop scalable revenue models at market level, when appropriate
• Collaborate with relevant teams to enable successful delivery of the sold projects
• Support the building and curation of a local, internal community of practice. Act as first line of support for country managers, Public Policy and Account Teams for thought leadership and strategic sales engagements.
All About You:
• Experience working for or closely with government agencies, managing process improvement and transformative change initiatives, as well as proven experience in engaging very senior government leaders to build durable relations
• Able to integrate knowledge across disciplines, including technology, operations, sales, product, marketing, compliance and risk.
• Proven track record in leading government projects and/or commercial deals in the assigned market. Experience of working on government business, tender process, managing government relationships, and co-developing a solution with government
• Consultative selling focused, with deep product, services, and solutions expertise.
• Adept at interacting with senior Mastercard stakeholders in terms of engagement, communication and transparency of purpose.
• Ability to skillfully lead complex regional initiatives that require collaboration across functional, geographical and cultural lines.
• Demonstrated ability to work across divisional boundaries, within the assigned region, division or market
• Self-motivated, thrives in a fast-paced environment; readiness to take-on stretch goals.
• Strong gravitas, exceptional relationship management, influencing and communication skills.
• Undergraduate degree required. MBA or graduate degree preferred.
• Fluency in the local language in the assigned market and English is required.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-142245